close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

40 S&W and 9mm accuracy

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Ski2me, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Ski2me

Ski2me Glock Envy

I need some advice from the experts here. I'm shooting 40 S&W and 9mm in my Glocks. I've been shooting factory Federal rounds and my lead reloads. In every instance my groupings at 15 yards are a lot tighter with the 9mm. Is this typical of caliber or should I be looking at other factors?

2. scccdoc

scccdoc

If it's stock barrels, hope you're shooting "plated" lead.

I have a Keltec 40 cal carbine and at 25 yds, iron sights, I can put a 5 shot group in a 1 1/2 in. sticky target. I would say from that, you are probably flinching anticipating the recoil of the 40. Shoot with what you are most accurate ........... I reload my 40's with a minimum load to help my accuracy. DOC

3. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

That is some good shooting.

4. 1canvas

1canvas

its actually not the caliber, it the fact that it a lighter caliber and most people shoot the lighter calibers better. also in the 9mm most target loads are much lighter than quality SD loads. with the .40 most target loads are pretty warm and close to SD loads. most guns are more accurate than any shooter, its that some guns and calibers are easier to shoot. load some hot +P SD loads in the 9mm and your groups will open up.

5. scccdoc

scccdoc

From a rest to test sight accuracy..........wish I was that good!

6. SJ 40

SJ 40

I never have nor do,just good cast lead bullets and always in factory Glock barrel.
    The Glock barrel leads far less than my Sub 2 K,98 % less . SJ 40

7. scccdoc

scccdoc

I don't doubt you, but my understanding is that Glock does not recommend lead bullets. What is your cost/ 1000 for the lead?

8. SJ 40

SJ 40

Well seeing as how I am a third partner in a small casting operation just my time.Last time I bought some commercially IIRC I paid 78.00 shipped,but it's been a couple of years and I know that's what they would be worth to me.

The one thing I would recommend to any one shooting lead is to clean your barrel properly between lead and jacketed or vice versa.If all barrels cleaned up as easily or well as Glock factory barrels people wouldn't complain about cleaning up after shooting lead.
    Other than that Enjoy. SJ 40

9. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Pretty much...
    Although I shoot my .40's better then 9mm. Comes down to what fits the shooter better. Type of gun, & rds downrange tell more then caliber.

10. ignantmike

ignantmike

i don't own a 40...but, i do own a 10mm.....now that thing is accurate:supergrin:

11. JBP55

JBP55

a .40 L.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  12. MonsterB

MonsterB

Personally I have found I shoot 40 better than 9mm, through thousands of rounds through simialar Glocks. Mybest shooting partner shoots his 40 Sig better than the same model 9mm s well. Its just the way it is, both of us shoot guns in just about every caliber frequently and it has been this way for years. In spiteof shooting probably 4 times the amount of 9 as 40. I am a big 40 fan nowadays.

13. Ski2me

Ski2me Glock Envy

I'm shooting with Lone Wolf barrels and load a middle of the road charge. I don't feel I flinch with either pistol. The 9mm has a 3.5 lb. trigger pull and the 40 has a standard trigger. I've shot over 1500 rounds in the last three months. I’m just really stumped. I don’t know what to work on. Any suggestions?

14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You haven't said what your group sizes are.

For example, I can take my Glock 17 and sit at a bench, resting the gun on sandbags, and slowly and carefully shoot 2" groups (5 shots). Have you tried to do that yet? That will give you a baseline of what your gun is capable of.

So many of these threads start out with all kinds of accuracy questions, and the shooter has never even sat the gun at a bench to establish a baseline.

15. Dawolf

Dawolf

I seem to shoot more accurately with my Sig 229 in .40 than I do with my 32 (with .40 barrel). I definitely shoot my 19 better than the 32. I am guessing the heaviness of the Sig is a factor. FYI the 32 with the .357 barrel beats them all!

16. eric2684

eric2684

Depends on the shooter. If you can "pretend" that you are about to shoot a dud, then you will stop flinching. I shoot better with a hot, high quality 124gr+P then with a FMJ 115 grain any day.