close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.40 S&W 135 gr

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by TommyV, Oct 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. TommyV

TommyV

Since my other thread was closed and I am not sure why I though I would open another. Here is a test someone did of the Federal 135gr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQyPZbHmOmE

I picked up two boxes of the exact same ammo. In the video it seems to perform pretty well. I was hoping to find the 155 gr but they did not have any.

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

You have to take these water-only tests with a boulder of salt. You'll pretty much always get perfect expansion (no possibility of clogging) and there is no penetration measurement (which is the most important part of any ammo testing!)

Use Google.

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yeah, I'd not get too wrapped up around the axle about informal ammunition "testing".

The Federal 135gr load was apparently one of the "mid-range" (velocity) loads developed for one of the fed agencies who previously used 155gr loads. That agency's in-house testing and evaluation criteria made it appear to offer the same desirable 'performance' with a lighter, easier recoiling round.

It seems to have been available for about 5 years from one or another of the major manufacturers, and like the previous 155gr loads, it reached the point where some production overruns (or surplus) was sold off on the wholesale commercial market.

The funny thing is that some offices of that agency seem not to have seen that load during its brief availability, and may even be using some 180gr loads by now. BrokenArrow keeps tabs on this fed ammo stuff better than me (meaning he's more interested ;) ) and can probably give you some further info.

Bottom line? It's a lower velocity lightweight bullet load than the loads offered by some of the other manufacturers, who seem intent on hot-rodding the 135gr loads. As I recall, the specs for the load was something like 1200fps with a +/- 40fps variance allowed.

It would seem to make for affordable range/practice ammo if it could be bought inexpensively enough.

Just my thoughts. I'd rather spend more trigger time maintaining skills than looking for hard-to-find ammo.

4. Glockbuster

Glockbuster

I wouldn't go below 155 gr. for .40"

5. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Actually, testing we did ages ago, with both CorBon & Triton (Great stuff!) 135gr. JHP's @ 1,300FPS, duplicated the proven-stopper, of the 125gr. .357 Magnum JHP.

While I can't fault today's bonded-bullets; especially for law enforcement---anything that works like the old 125gr. .357 is NEVER a bad choice! For civy carry in .40 cal., I think it is actually the superior choice.

6. Glockbuster

Glockbuster

I carried that load in Corbon (I believe a Nosler bullet ? or Sierra?). I found it to be a real blaster, difficult to control on follow up shots--at least for me. Then I saw reports of the bullet fragmenting violently (this is not necessarily bad for direct hits). But....in time I changed over to the 155 gr. load from Speer in the G22and later changed to the Speer 125 gr. load in 357 sig.

7. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

FYI-Nosler first, Sierra later. Yeah, they both were "blasters", then again, so were the 125gr. .357 Magnum loads. Both the .357's & the .40's would indeed tend to fragment, but it was seen at the time as a "good" thing. For "John Doe" on the street still is, IMO.

The 155gr. loads in .40, were just about all excellent. And I'm a big fan of the .357 Sig.

Just sayin' the 135gr. 40's duplicated the raw "stopping-power" (whatever that is! :supergrin:), to the much-respected .357 125gr. hollow-points.

8. Glockbuster

Glockbuster

I agree with what you said. Do you have the same view for the 357 sig ? I don't think its as good but comes pretty close. Which would you rather carry the 135/.40 or 125/.357 ? what about shootablility of both ?

9. TommyV

TommyV

It is not hard to find ammo for me. They have tons of boxes at two of my local walmarts. $22 per box of 50 so it is pretty cheap for JHP but more expensive than FMJ. I bought two boxes just to have. I was going to do some testing once I get a bunch of different hollow points.

The also have the Winchester USA40JPH 180 gr for the same price. I have not been able to find any reviews on this one.

I brought this up in another thread and people were saying the sectional density of the 125 gr .357 sig makes it better.

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

The Ranger RS40180HP is the original 180gr load developed for the early .40 S&W cartridge by Winchester. It uses the old style JHP bullet. It was the load used by the CHP for so many years which made them consider their .40's to be superior weapons to their older .38's (110gr +P+) and .357's.

Granted, we were told of shipments that were rejected once in a while due to velocities falling below the stated specifications, and it was simply a budget/bulk LE-type load, but overall it seemed to do the job.

The T-Series became their premium flagship LE load for those folks willing to pay the premium prices.

Then, when Winchester decided they wanted a piece of the pie for one of the Gov agencies, they developed their 155gr JHP load which used an old-style JHP bullet.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a lot of the older LE/Gov bulk ammo floating around in the wholesale pipeline. The big retailers that buy trainloads of ammo can probably pick it up pretty cheaply.

11. TommyV

TommyV

The USA40JHP 180 gr just comes in a white Winchester box that says "Personal Protection". It is not in the Ranger box. I'm not sure if that is the same as what you are referring to.

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

The USA40JHP 180gr load uses the same bullet as the RA40180HP load, last I heard, although the last time I looked in the LE catalog the RA40180HP load was listed as having a very slightly higher velocity. We're talking 1020fps for the Ranger load vs. 1010fps for the USA load. I have no idea why, unless the stated slightly higher velocity of the Ranger load is somehow linked to meeting some slightly higher velocity spec somewhere or other for contract bids. Dunno.

The USA40JHP load is also listed in the Subsonic Centerfire Duty Handgun section, FWIW.

I've seen the Subsonic & USA Personal Protection loads come through as contract ammo, too.

13. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

I would be happy with either, for personal carry. However, since it is doubtful a citizen will need to be shooting through auto glass, or car bodies, I think I would take the 135/40.

Shootability of both is tolerable to me. The 125gr. .357 Magnum loads, were all worse out of the revolvers, in terms "shootability." Even with the revolvers being heavier.

If I were arming a state police agency, I would take the 357 Sig over the .40 or .45acp. With bonded bullets, it's a great caliber for "open highway" law enforcement.

Personally, my everyday carry, remains an ancient Glock 17 with +P 124gr. Gold Dots. I think overall, it's about the best at covering all the bases. Still, I have a great respect for the +P+ conventional hollow-points, that gave the 9mm the rep, as a legit fighting caliber.

I sincerely believe, what I state in my signature, to be the truth.:wavey:

14. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Good post.

15. Glockbuster

Glockbuster

ABSOLUTELY, +1, only I carry a 357 Sig. I consider myself at risk of having to shoot through my own glass in an ambush. God forbid though.

16. gatorboy

gatorboy

If you prefer lighter bullets I think the 155 GD is the way to go. It's loaded to 1200, easy to find, reasonably priced in 50 rd. boxes and it's bonded. The HP is wide and shallow, it (almost) always opens and (almost) never plugs.

17. TommyV

TommyV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HALCn1czp4s

18. fredj338

fredj338

The 135gr/40 has the same SecDen as the 110gr/357, not such a good track record in performance. The 155gr/40, loaded to it's upper limit, performs more like the "vaunted" 125gr/357mag. At least they have the same potential for penetration. It would not be a bad choice for apt or mobile home dwellers, where thin walls are the norm, but for general SD or HD, my 40 is loaded w/ 165gr loads.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  19. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

That's my feeling as well. Sectional density gets too low. If you want those kind of 135gr speeds get a .357 Sig and keep the sectional density reasonable.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  20. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

4.5" barrel + 124+P Gold Dots = A bad day for the bad guy