close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

40 gr VMAX bullet in 1/7 barrel?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Dizzy Beaver, May 16, 2013.

1. lilglockboy

lilglockboy

Oct 23, 2009
    Yea my mom's friends, uncle's cousins ex sister in-laws baby sitters brother knows someone that's knows someone from their schools that knows this other guy that hog hunts at no less than 3400 meters with 40gr bullets from his diplomat barrel. Some of you crack me up:rofl:

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    We don't even bother hunting them any more. We just lob a couple of the old Birdman Nuke50s into the area and let the radiation handle the problem. I really need to burn up the last box of that crap before it degrades any worse, though.

:whistling:

3. I've read this said many times but never asked.

Why length and not weight?

I would think it is both.

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  5. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    ithaca_deerslayer
    It's the way the bullets engages the rifling, shorter bullets might not engage the rifling in a straight line every time because they are seated deeper and have a longer gap to jump to engage! Longer bullets are generally seated closer to the rifling there by engage it faster with out the wobble you can get with shorter bullets! IE they tend to be more accurate! Not a garentee but a higher probability! Ask any Long Range Match shooter and they like there long heavy for caliber bullets seated .002" off the lans or closer!:supergrin: Also dedicated Varmint guns are tuned to shoot the lighter bullets tend to have short leads to use the short bullets and slower twist rates.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  6. Interesting that the link above did not talk about the jump into the threads. Good info you are providing about that and seating.

7. Good explanation of in flight characteristics. Thanks :)

Oh, interesting that he does say weight does matter, too.

8. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.
  9. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    ithaca_deerslayer
    Yep I've known long range guys that go so far as to ensure the there cases are perfect centered- they have case gauge sets/tools to see if the neck roundness is perfect- also the bullets make sure they seated perfectly - no wobble when you roll them on a flat surface so they engage the rifle centered every time! Very anal - but they like to shoot flys at 200 yards! And like $10,000 guns and glass! They really hated me when I would out shout them with my Savage 110 stock '06
    cheap glass and reloads. Now I couldn't compete with them past 250 yards! But I'd give then fits under that!

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  10. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    If will depend on how smooth your rifling is. You can not over stabilize a good bullet. It may tear itself apart if the jacket is too thin and fails from rotational stress at a high velocity. The 52 grain match King is very accurate in a 1:7.....better than the 69MK at 100yds. The 69MK does better at 300yds. Use some medium or reduced loads if the 40g comes apart at higher velocities. My one AR will shoot the Hornady 50gSX and another will not. All barrels, chrome-lined or not, will shoot some thin skinned bullets and others will not. I'm sure a 1:9 would be better.

11. 23LS1

23LS1

Feb 18, 2013
    I literally laughed out loud on that one. Hahaha

12. BossGodfrey

BossGodfrey

Apr 27, 2010
    LOL, I use to think the same thing until I got into Palma shooting last year. Now I am one of those anal guys.

13. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    BossGodfrey
    Not knocking you long range guys - just stating facts! To achieve the scores they shoot constantly is all about tight tolerances and big money guns/glass. I love shooting just could never justify the exspense required to shoot at that level!:supergrin:

14. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I was going to say... I loaded over 600 rounds of 40's 50's Vmax bullets for a prairie dog hunting trip in Montana last summer. I shot out to 500 yards with my Remington 700 SPS 1-9 and my son used a DD 1-7 AR out to 250 yards with a 10X MOA SWFA scope. We killed lot's of them.

15. Dizzy Beaver

Dizzy Beaver

Jan 27, 2013
    Cabela's had Fiocchi 50-grain VMAX yesterday so I grabbed my 5-box limit. I won't get to test them out for a while as I'm waiting on some Troy sights so hopefully the Fiocchi isn't a waste of money!

16. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
  17. Dizzy Beaver

Dizzy Beaver

Jan 27, 2013
  18. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    100 yards.