close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

40 cal. Chamber Checker-good idea?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Peace Officer, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Peace Officer

Peace Officer

I thought I would purchase a 40 cal. Chamber Checker to check all of my rounds prior to shooting just to make sure there are no problems,which I have had in the past. I'm talking about checking all my "new" ammo. Would appreciate any feed back/pros-cons, thank you my Glock Bros.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. mo.glocker

mo.glocker

you mean a case (gauge)i use one reloading,you dont need one if your shooting factory ammo-jeff:wavey:

3. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

The cheapest "chamber checker" you have is... your barrel.

Just remove it from the gun, and drop rounds into the chamber. Whammy.

4. SJ 40

SJ 40

+ 1 sj40

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I barrel check every round I use, both factory new and my reloads. Just remove your barrel and drop each round in. I also have Dillon gauges for 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp and .45gap.

You will be surprised that factory rounds are out of spec from time to time.

6. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Pshh... factory ammo is always in spec... :whistling:

[​IMG]

7. mo.glocker

mo.glocker

yes, but when i first started on the 550 i would get rejects that wouldnt pass the dillon case gauge.they always worked great in the glock,so the glock barrel is a little looser than the gauge:wavey:

8. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

That's just a home made +p+.

9. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

I really don't worry about it. I visually see the rds as I load them, so something like that pic I would pickup.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  10. Z71bill

Z71bill

[​IMG]

Not sure what I would learn if I put each of these rounds in the barrel / chamber of my G21 -

I will guess they would all fit just fine.:upeyes:

Can someone explain why / what is the benefit of removing the barrel from my gun and manually putting each round in the chamber? :dunno:

11. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Not all out of spec ammo is set back related or easily seen.

Sometimes it's a case bulge.
    [​IMG]

And sometimes that bulge is minor and easy to miss.
    [​IMG]

12. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

The thought is that for duty or SD ammo, it would be nice to know that the round will actually chamber.

The fact that the round will fall into a chamber of a hand-held barrel will only catch the truly defective rounds. A case gauge MIGHT be tighter than the chamber and would be an even better test.

The only thing that matters is whether the rounds chamber when the gun cycles. Sure, if the round won't fit the hand-held barrel, it probably won't chamber. But just because the round fits the barrel doesn't mean it will chamber automatically.

Reloaders shooting matches tend to check every round because they can. It might be useful to check factory rounds and it is certainly worth looking at them but there are examples of factory rounds that don't even have a flash hole. They may fit the chamber beautifully but they still won't work.

In the end, it's a crapshoot. All you can do it try to reduce the odds.

Richard

13. Peace Officer

Peace Officer

What is the general opinion on Dillon Percision Case Guages for 40 cal. S&W? This piece of equipment ensures that you ammo be it reloads or new ammo is in spec., please advise. Thanks my Glock Brothers.

14. SJ 40

SJ 40

15. RLZIII

RLZIII

I personally line up all of the ammo side by side on a desk, get down to eye level, and check to make sure that there is no setback in any of the rounds (with hollow point ammo, I set up the ammo on the bullet end, as it makes a very nice lineup for the primer end of the cartridge, making it easier to see any differences). I then check every cartridge by dropping it into the barrel (removed from the slide) to check for bulges. This seems to be the easiest way, and is especially important to do for any self defense ammo in your guns (as that's the worst time to have such a problem). I don't shoot reloads, and I've never found a factory cartridge that was out of spec; but I don't mind checking.

I have never used a chamber checker, but I would assume that'd be faster. It's just a matter of whether or not you'd be willing to spend the money.