Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

3rd ID engineer to receive the Medal of Honor

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by Bonk, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Linh40

Linh40 Member

May 27, 2005
    Most of the time it would be the other way around. The PFC would be the gunner but that's one good NCO taking the lead. Wish we had more NCO like that. I'm pretty sure PVT Seaman got something most likely a broze star.
  2. Black Tiger

Black Tiger

Mar 4, 2004
    Leesburg, FL
    I recently toured my old duty station at Ft. Stewart ( I served with E Co. 2/7th Infantry from 1992-1995) and visited the museum and I was witness to a section which was dedicated to SFC Smith; I took pictures of it and wanted to post them for you all to see; they have, among other items, SFC Smith's personal weapon and LBV on display.

His personal Weapon, an M4A1 Carbine; you can see his LBV on the left corner of the picture.

A unit picture of his unit, B Co. 11th Engineer Bn.; he is in the center of the picture in the back row.

In a rather ironic twist of fate, the most famous decorated soldier of WW2, Lt. Audie Murphy hailed from the 3rd ID, much like SFC Smith did; they were both awarded the MOH in similar fashion; during combat by defending their fellow soldiers by engaging the enemy with a .50 caliber BMG atop a disabled armored vehicle (Lt Murphy on an M4A3 Sherman and SFC Smith on an M113A1 APC); both men understood that failure to take action would've meant a sure death to their fellow soldiers.

A true example of the WARRIOR ETHOS.

3. Actually, RANGERS LEAD THE WAY — HooAh!;z
  4. Guest

SFC Smith represents the very best that the military, God and men have to offer.

Our sympathies and undying gratitude to his family for their sacrifice.
  5. CADdrafter

Dec 15, 2005
    ^c ~2
  6. This happened on OIF 1. It only took a couple years for the president to react to it. As a matter of Fact this guy was in my briage. 1st brigade combat team. I've been in Iraq1 since last January 8th and i'm flying out of here on December 31st. It's been a long year and my briage has suffured. Our figuresd are nearly 60 dead and in the neighborhood of 600 wounded. I've seen my fair share of blood. More then i would want to in an entire lifetime but that's the job i've chosen as a medic. Anyways, I can't wait to see my wife and children
  7. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    I am without words.

;? ;1 ;? ;w ;1 ;? ;w ;1 ;?
  8. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005
    I have to say right now I have quite a few tears in my eyes. I have lost a lot of great friends in Afghanistan and Iraq. I hope that his family gets through this extremely hard time. My heart and prays go out to them.
  9. Juliet Lima

Juliet Lima Hawaiian Guy

Apr 5, 2007
    Vegas, NV
    Any soldier that get presented the Medal of Honor deserves it. It's a long selection process that starts from their commander all the way up to the CinC. I'm amazed that with all of the soldiers that have died in Iraq we are only now seeing the first of MOH. To think that a MOH has anything to do with the President is absurd.

I am always humbled when someone puts the lives of their fellow soldiers before themselves. SFC Paul Smith deserves all of our gratitude and respect for his Ultimate Sacrifice. From one Sergeant to another...I salute you and RIP.

SSgt Lindsey
  10. NormalRandy

NormalRandy Holstermaker

Jul 15, 2007
  11. x2... with the addition that there have been plenty of guys in US military history that have definitely deserved one but just never got it due to a lack of witnesses or the witnesses being killed soon-thereafter, political considerations (Teddy Roosevelt...) or racial discrimination. The point is, if anything, not enough have been issued. Those who have earned one, have done just that.
  12. SAG

Jan 20, 2009
    Thank you, Sgt. Smith.
    I am sorry for the political bull**** presented here. You are a hero and deserve better.

I was never challenged as you were, and I can only hope that I would have done the same for my men if duty called. Few can claim to be your equal.

Rest in peace, Sarg. You did good.
  13. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    :crying: :sadangel: :patriot:
  14. ganooch

ganooch US Army OIF Vet

Feb 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    A hero in the truest sense of the word.

Jul 29, 2013

Good to see another 10th mtn guy in here...

was 511th MP Co in early 90's

Thank you, SFC. Smith

Courage Under Fire Is The True Test Of A Man!
    You sir, passed the test, and then some well done!
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013