close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

3Gun Belt Shotgun Shell Holders

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by mildot, Jun 15, 2011.

1. mildot

mildot
    Expand Collapse

Well there appears to be 2 types of holders for sale out there;
    1)Version made by Mark Otto, sold at 3Gunstuff
    2)California Competition works, same style but attached differently?

So on to the questions, since I can't compare them side by side physically, I wondering if there are some end users that can comment on either? quality? belt attachment preference?
    Overall satisfaction? Thanks

Mark Otto, 3Gunstuff
    [​IMG]

California Competition Works
    [​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. B.Reid

B.Reid
    Expand Collapse

3. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

Can't address the Otto version, but I had a few of the California Competition things show up at my classes and they worked well. The belt attachment, BTW is pretty much the same as used on the Bianchi M12 holster used by the military, which I like.

4. Clint-M

Clint-M
    Expand Collapse

I don't know about either of those but two others you may or may not be interested in looking at are the Mountain Man Engineering and AP Industries 4x4.

AP Industries is great for saving space on your belt, useful if your belly takes up the front of the belt or if you have a shotgun heavy stage. MME are ridiculously light, you can get different colors for different shots if that's important to you. Just a few pieces to look at if you haven't already.

CM

5. B Coyote

B Coyote
    Expand Collapse

I have the California model, but it's got a different belt attachment. It works just fine.

bc

6. durian00

durian00
    Expand Collapse

7. Victoriagotagun

Victoriagotagun
    Expand Collapse

3GG, CA Comp Work, and APC all make great shell caddies. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

8. mildot

mildot
    Expand Collapse

I ordered some of the 3Gunstuff Mark Otto 4rnder's. Thanks troops!!

9. onebadaxe

onebadaxe
    Expand Collapse

You did good. The Mark Otto shell carriers are high quality and solid. They hold rounds securely and with the Tek-lok attachment are easy on/off of your belt.

10. mildot

mildot
    Expand Collapse

I opted to change out the Tek Lok with the Bladetech Molle Lok.
    Going to see how that works?

11. A6Gator

A6Gator
    Expand Collapse

While I have the CA Comp Works shell caddies, the Mark Otto one's are better. I checked out a bud's Mark Ottos and the tension on the shells in the caddy is much more consistent. While the CA Comp Works are cheaper, if I had it to do over, I'd spring for the Mark Otto or Mountain Man caddies. If you're way serious, the AP Custom is the right answer, I just wonder how all that bulk works out in a shotgun/rifle stage, where the targets are out at 200 yds and out and I need to drop prone...

12. D4RWlN

D4RWlN
    Expand Collapse

How good is retention on the ap customs 4x4? Will shells go flying when running or jumping?

13. Clint-M

Clint-M
    Expand Collapse

Under enough dynamic movement the 4x4's will bobble some with less than four in the caddy. With four loaded up they are GTG from what I've seen.

CM

14. denn1911

denn1911
    Expand Collapse

I picked up two of these and used them a few weeks ago in my 2nd 3 Gun Match. They are awesome!

15. D4RWlN

D4RWlN
    Expand Collapse

That's what I figured. Thanks!

16. A6Gator

A6Gator
    Expand Collapse

So do they get in the way on a shotgun/rifle transition? It looks to me like the bulk of the shell caddie might make going prone a bit more of a challenge.

17. Clint-M

Clint-M
    Expand Collapse

They do to small degree. You have to be a little more careful not drop too much weight on them when going prone or they will give you a nice punch to the gut and also if you have the old tactical tummy I'd imagine they would be less comfortable to lie on but if you're a smaller guy you can work around it pretty easily. They're solid as a rock so you have to focus more on hurting yourself than the caddy.

I got to do a small amount of training with one on Friday but I'm a small guy and adjusted pretty easily. I'd imagine more than two would be pretty annoying. It is just another thing to think about when setting up a kit- you give a little to get a little.

I think a single stack is probably still the way I'd prefer to go (I'm a noob though) but having a 4x4 in your bag could only help on shotgun heavy stages that don't have prone positioning.

CM