close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

3D PRINTED GLOCK 17, what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by elijah58, Nov 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. elijah58

elijah58

Feb 6, 2012
    Cassatt, SC
    Killed this thread, could come back to haunt me. ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. 33rdglock17

33rdglock17 Boosh

Feb 6, 2011
    anti gun, IL
    I think its awesome! but i bet the ATF will wonder if you have a manufacturing license....

3. elijah58

elijah58

Feb 6, 2012
    Cassatt, SC
    You really think so, it's not an operable G17?

4. curlysir

curlysir

Aug 15, 2011
    NE Texas
    Very interesting :wow:

Me likee:cool:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  5. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    Of course it's not operational.
    No 3D printer has the capability to create parts strong enough.
    Toy model only. ATF couldn't care less.
    Denis

6. serger

serger

Feb 24, 2009
  7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    You know, I'll bet accurate plastic models of Glocks with all the moving parts could sell for plenty. Call it a model kit, demonstrate it on a youtube video and then sell them on Ebay. I would not be surprised if they brought $200-300. Maybe more.

8. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Apr 16, 2012
    That looks better than the real thing, not that that took much. I think you could definitely find a market for these with collectors and gun shops for displays.

9. It sounds cool limited prototyping. I expect it is expensive to actually product these 3D things.

10. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
  11. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    Even if, the first shot would blow it up.
    There is no real structural integrity there.
    Denis

12. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    Did you read the article? The ATF doesn't care if there is any structural integrity or not. :rofl:

I'm sure it could be made of the thinnest plastic possible, where it shatters if you squeeze it too hard. "Yeah, that's way too close to an actual firearm, it could easily be turned into a working machine pistol, we'll have to confiscate these and destroy them." :faint:

13. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    I would not worry any more about ATF's interest in that 3D "printout" than I would in manufacturing a blank-firing starter pistol. Less, in fact.
    Or a non-firing dummy pistol, which there are thousands of running loose on the streets today. Bought & sold daily.
    Non issue in this case.
    Denis

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Notwithstanding the ATF debate, that is very cool.

15. 33rdglock17

33rdglock17 Boosh

Feb 6, 2011
    anti gun, IL
    Yea that's my point. I think it's ridiculous but they aren't the smartest bunch.... I'd rather be cautious. Plus I think somebody was printing AR-15 receivers and got their machine confiscated

16. NCHeel

NCHeel

Jan 20, 2006
    Charlotte N.C.
    Did you read the article yourself? The story is sensationalized to make people scared and the ATF agent says the airsoft guns can easily be retrofitted but when you get to the end of the story they give you the legal grounds on which they seized the shipment was imported toy guns are required to have the blaze orange tip.

17. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    If it wasn't an issue before, why is it an issue now? Also, the reason they were confiscated is because they believe they can easily be converted into functioning firearms, which is bull****. They just gave the orange tip reason as an excuse to get away with confiscating the firearms. If the tips had been painted orange, then the ATF still would've confiscated them.

And yes, the article may be sensationalized to scare uninformed people, but that's not my point. My point is that the ATF agents really were stupid enough to state the reason why they were seized was because they could be converted into working firearms. And if they're that stupid, then they'll believe anything, and word it in a way that allows them to do it.

18. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Dump The Hump"

Jun 13, 2006
    Texas
    Now the real question is will it through spit wads to the forehead....:rofl: TXPO

19. 24601

Oct 7, 2012
    don't forget to print out mags and ammo for it :supergrin: