close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

380 + p yup

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by purrrfect 10, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    I've always thought that, for the overwhelming majority of situations, that mantra is ridiculous, for similar reasons as to what you expressed.

2. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

Aug 23, 2002
    OAF Mecca, MD

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    In any event, it sure stopped the robbery. ;)

4. No disagreement there.

5. John Galt

John Galt Anti-Federalist

Sep 6, 2001
    Indy
    When I was 17 my father was mugged by two men at knifepoint. He shot them both with a .380 Government Model. He killed one outright, the other died in surgery.

No one will ever convince me that the .380 is not a good defensive cartridge.

6. NickC50310

NickC50310

Jun 9, 2005
    Des Moines Iowa
    I would prefer to have something with a bit more punch than .380. I used to carry my full size FNX .40 and it was just too much. Way too heavy, big grip that printed often. I just got an XDm .40 compact and its pretty much perfect. Completely invisible on me and it doesnt make my pants fall down. I have 12 rounds of .40 Winchester 180GR Bonded PDX in it and 16 rounds in the magazine on the other side.

7. LOCHFAL

LOCHFAL Millennium Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Colorado
    I've always thought that there is a happy medium on the size and caliber of handgun carried, I'm still not sure I've found it but right now I'm really liking the Glock 27.

As far as the fighting your way to a rifle or shotgun, I agree but I also feel that this is more valid in your own space, home or vehichle campsite etc. Not out in public of course.

8. forresme

forresme

May 8, 2009
    Southern State
    With the LCP or Kel-Tec 380 I feel lucky if I can hit anything much beyond 6 feet. They are the most uncomfortable guns to shoot I have ever seen. Granted, they are very small, light, and easy to pocket carry, but for personal defense I feel much more confident with either my Kahr PM-9, Glock 26, or S&W 442. With the .380 it is too much of a toss up.

9. Wolfdad

Wolfdad

Apr 19, 2011
    Placement over caliber every time. A 380 COM or head betters any other caliber anywhere else on the body.

10. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    I do love these caliber wars.

I don't understand why people consider the .380 anemic when Nazis and police in europe have been pretty successful with the round.

Heck some 50 years ago people didn't have problems with .32S&W longs and .32acp as police and defensive rounds.

Its all about shot placement.

Like G26239 mentioned the size difference between a .380 pocket gun like the LCP and a .38snubbie or a compact 9mm is VERY signicant.

You are more likely to ALWAYS be armed with a small .380 pocket gun. Better have a gun than not.

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    NB, yooropeeans use pistols as more of a badge than a combat weapon. But I agree that mouseguns can be useful.

12. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    My normal carry is a S&W airweight J frame. But honestly, I still want a .380. There are time when I just have on some shorts and a t shirt and the J frame is too bulky. I also like that even if I'm wearing pajamas or shorts to bed, I could still slip a LCP into my pocket and be armed even when I'm "dressed" for bed.

13. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Thaty is what I like about my .380 pocket gun too. If someone is knocking at the door at midnight I don't have to freak out the kids by running down the stairs with my G17.

It happened the other day. Knock at the door superlate. I grabbed my 380 and stuck it the pocket of my shorts. Found out it was just the neighbor telling me my wife left her car headlights on. I was armed in case it was something bad, but my neighbor, my kids and the wife were none the wiser.

14. tongix

tongix

Oct 10, 2009
    THe German s use .32 cal in Walther sized pistols , those go popular back to the 30s and .40s . But today the badguys are big wide bodies mofos. Most of them are into drugs and cocaine. Its about right you up your caliber choice nowadays to something like 9 mm Makarov or higher. A 250 lb hunk of raging muscle doesnt go down that easily .Plus most wear some thick clothes and undergarment. A .380 FMJ is what most experts recommend. A premium ammo is also a must for .380 users. Thats my take....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  15. G26AZ

G26AZ

Aug 16, 2001
    Arizona
    Thats what I like about my KelTec 380. When I get compfy for the night, I usually wear gym shorts and a T-shirt. The .45 Commander goes in the bedside holster, and the KelTec goes in the pocket of my shorts and doesn't make them sag. With the little clip-on Uncle Mikes nylon holster, I can even wear it in just my underwear (erase mental image!) if I want to.:embarassed:

16. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Midwest
    If you can't hit with it, don't carry it. But you might want to take a look at some of the post and threads from M2 Carbine. He does some pretty impressive LONG RANGE work with mouse guns including 380. And I'm a great believer in long range practice as well as 'bad breath range' practice.

I'm not as good as M2 Carbine, but I'm no slouch with my P3AT's and Kahr mouse pistols. I've killed many small four legged moving varmints with my P3AT over the years. I know they were not shooting back. But I figure if I can hit something like that, I can probably hit a larger target if I don't loose my cool. I regularly practice at out to 50 yards or more with my mouse guns, including the P3AT.

And I consider my P3AT to be a pretty easy to shoot pistol. The recoil is negligible to my way of thinking, but I'm used to magnum handgun shooting.

Pretty much sums up my opinion except my choice of FNJ ammo. I'm not the least bit worried about over-penetration. I worry a lot more about misses. Statistics seem to show a pretty high percentage of misses in most handgun self defense shootings, even LEO involved ones.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  17. ArtCrafter

ArtCrafter ¤Hocker Mocker¤

Jul 14, 2008
    Look on the 'bright' side: Anyone who carries a .380 for self-defense against anything larger than a 'mouse' is certainly no pessimist.

:supergrin:

18. gatorboy

gatorboy

Jul 26, 2001
    It's pretty nice
    I've got one .380, Kahr P380. I would only carry it as backup to something better. The PM9 which I also own is as small as I'd go for primary but don't even need to make that sacrifice with my Shield 40 and the short mag. Still 6+1 and just as small. I trust my seven shot 351 NG J-frame over a 380. 40-50gr. .22 mag's penetrate much better than an 85-100 gr. .355 at the same velocity. Plus the J-frame weighs 11oz. loaded and is way more reliable than the Kahr 380 I have.

19. racerford

racerford

Apr 22, 2003
    DFW area

20. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Moderator

Jan 1, 1970

Do you know the first rule of a gunfight? Bring a gun.

I know plenty of macho types who turn their nose up at mouse guns, who simply do not carry in circumstances where their bigger, heavier weapon is impractical or impossible to carry.

I can clip my P3AT into the waistband of a pair of jogging shorts or sweatpants and never even notice that it is there. Show me a nine you can do that with. I tell people that my P3AT is what I carry when I can't carry a gun. I would much rather have that in my hand than my Johnson, if trouble finds me though.

I usually carry a 5" Kimber CDP, but I am not always dressed in a way where I can carry it. I am always carrying something though. Eric