close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.380 Madness

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 3rdgen40, Mar 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    What is making .380's so popular for CCW? Every time I go to my LGS, someone is buying a Sig 238.The shop owner says it's his best selling handgun.Buds rates the LCP as their top selling pistol.Ammo is more expensive than 9mm.
    So, what is it that makes the .380 so popular ? Is just the size factor ? I have to admit, I have a craving for a Sig 238 myself.I just don't know why? LOL .......:dunno:

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA

3. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    J frame .38's are small and light.So are some 9mm's.Yet the .380 seems to be blowing them away in popularity.

4. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    The revolvers are considerably wider. The 9mms are larger and heavier. The very few 9mms that are smilar in size and weight generally cost a great deal more. If you want options in a very small and very light pistol, the 380 is really the only choice.

Having said all that, I'm not much of a mousegun fan. However, I do own a KelTec P3AT that I carry while jogging, etc.

5. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
  6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I'm not much of a fan of it. Quality seems decent enough, but Sig has really turned me off with all their goofy marketing schemes these days. I don't buy American made Sigs at all.

The 1911 is the only exception.

7. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    .380's have replaced the Derringer as the quintessential pocket pistol. I myself carry a Kahr PM45, because I don't trust the .380 to stop an attacker any more than I trust a .22LR. I know that theoretically, either of those two rounds can get the job done, and I know that there are much better bullets available now than there were back in 1986 when I bought a PPK (and sold it when I came to realize my G17 was far superior.)

The other factor is that women are looking for a low-recoil platform, and they've been talked out of the .22 and .25 calibers (and rightly so...)

For me, 9mm is as low as I'll go, but only if the gun carries more than 6 rounds. For my preferred method of pocket carry, it's .357, .40, or .45 for me.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  8. mhmills

mhmills

Aug 15, 2007
    Kansas
    Many of the people with a ccw license are not "gun people". They feel that carrying anything bigger than a lcp sized gun is too difficult or inconvenient.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. I agree, and will actually take it one step further, and say for many, they have replaced the "main" gun as well.

Seems these days, all people do is cry about how hard it is to carry and conceal anything bigger than an LCP or P32. Kind of makes you wonder when youve carried a full size gun daily for most of your life, as well as a back up (or two), and a double reload.

I guess its just a matter of what youre used to, and what youre willing to do, to get it done. I get the feeling that for many, their gun is just another fashion accessory, or symbol of status, and not something they consider "serious".

10. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

Feb 10, 2001
    Beyond the beyond
    For our purposes, we think the small .380 pistols have a place. There are times in hot climates when pocket carry is clearly indicated. We tried a tiny 9mm for a while, and found the recoil so violent that it affected reliability (for us, at least). We grant the .380 is inadequate for hunting grizz, but for defensive use (with some of the modern ordnance available) we consider it adequate.

As for the P238, we own one and like it so far.

We trudge on.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Gun Nut

Nov 16, 2003
    Soddy Daisy, TN
    The Sig P238 is a great little pistol. My wife got one recently.

Different applications require different tools. A .380 would not be MY personal choice but my wife is not intimidated by it and shoots it well enough. I'd rather her have something she is comfortable and hit the target with than shoot something she's ineffective with.

12. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

May 28, 2004
    A G17 is much, much larger than a PPK! There is no comparison between the two.

People just draw arbitrary lines between calibers. I am not sure why the limit is set just above .380. Why not just draw your arbitrary lines at 10mm and just carry a G20 everywhere?

13. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Apr 1, 2010
    Virginia
    I've carried for a while, now. I carry many different calibers from 380 to 45 ACP.

The advantages of a 380 is size, ease of shooting, and ease of a faster reload with a magazine in a pocket carry. I have carried and still do carry a LCR, but it depends upon where I am going and what I am wearing. My main carry is a G23/27. Winter carry is a 30/36. At the private gun club, it's a 45 or 357, in addition to what I'm shooting. Sometimes I'm the only one out there. If I were loading a gun and some threat approached, I have something to use. In the indoor range, I carry in addition to what I am shooting. It could be a backup gun like a revolver or a P238 or G27.

To me, it's another tool in the spectrum of carrying concealed firearms. I used to dress around my gun solely but there are times when I wear what I need to wear and the gun has to "fit in".

There are three types of ways for people to carry:
    Off person : caliber and size may not have to matter (briefcase, purse, fanny pack, concealed carry jacket, whatever)
    On person: Dress around the gun
    On Person: Get a gun that suits what you're wearing.

I always carry on person: in the pocket, IWB or pancake.

That's just how I do it. My buddy believes in one carry weapon, one holster. That's what makes each of us different.

Sorry for the ramble but that is why I have a 380. It's not my only gun. It is the rationale for why I carry it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  14. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I fixed it for you. I believe your statement to be true but being or not being a gun person dosen't have much if anything to do with the decision. I've been armed since I joined the USMC when I was 18 years old. I was also a military and civilian Police Officer for 35+ years. I'm 65 years old and still carry. Believe me, I'm a gun person. I recently purchased a p238 and find it very reliable and feel comfortable that it can handle any difficulty I might get involved in. I'm not gonna' be out there looking for situations to get into. Personal protection means just that . . . protecting me and mine. :wavey:

15. Two "much's" is really one to many. :)

I carry a 17 every day, and I have carried a PPK in the past as back up to my 1911. For me, the PPK really wasnt a pocket pistol, as it was to big for my pockets, so I either carried it in an ankle holster or a small shoulder holster.

When I got tired of dealing with the newer PPK's not working, I switched to the SIG 230, which is similar in size, and carried it in the same places. These days, the P230's have been replaced with a Glock 26, and it too rides in the same place as the PPK and P230.

If youre of a mind to do it, and willing to adjust your dress around the gun, you can pretty much carry anything without any problems.

16. mhmills

mhmills

Aug 15, 2007
    Kansas
    That's why I said many not all.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    Why a .380? :whistling:

If you do have to shoot someone - and you use a .380 it limits your legal liability. :upeyes:

Makes it easy to accept your statement - I didn't want to hurt anyone! :tongueout:

BTW - I CC a Kel-Tec P-3AT sometimes - and would always want a really small gun that I can conceal 100%.

18. Wishoot

Wishoot

Aug 13, 2010
    Milwaukee
    I may be "Stepping Down" to a .380 soon. Although I have a LC9 and an LCR for EDC, I find that there are times when they are too difficult to conceal. I'm often wearing a suit for work and the IWB or pocket carry bulge is just too obvious IMO. It'd be nice to just toss an LCP in my pocket without having to worry about the bump's and bulges that always seem to show.

19. cjkranz

cjkranz

Jan 7, 2012
    I also carry anything from a .380 to a .45 for the same reasons as stated above.. My regular carry is a G27 or G19 but during the summer a pocket pistol is great. As for .380 pistols I highly recommend the P238. I have owned (and sold) a LCP, Kahr P380 and the standard P238. I currently have a P238 HD and it feels as if the recoil has been cut in half from my all aluminum P238. This makes it enjoyable to shoot and it is very accurate. My 7 and 10 year olds even enjoy shooting it.

20. Wishoot

Wishoot

Aug 13, 2010
    Milwaukee
    Isn't the P238 pretty big and hefty for a pocket .380? I've never actually shot one or had a chance to fondle one for that matter. It just looks like the specs on it are not exactly pocket friendly.