close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.380 Carry Ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Beware Owner, Jan 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
    What do you think is best suited for backup carry ammo in this caliber?

2. For adequate penetration, I would probably use FMJ.

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    Use a 9mm as your minimum. your life depends on it.
    If for some reason you just "have to " use the 380. Use the heaviest FMJ you can find that reliably works in your gun. But again, I would NOT reccomend a 380 for SD. A little G26 9mil with some 147gr JHP's or 124gr +p GD's would be a world better than the 380. Mouse guns are for just that, rats and mice and snakes... ;)

Stay safe
    Good luck.

CanyonMan

4. mteagle1

mteagle1

Oct 17, 2008
    Great Falls, MT
    A .380 in the pocket beats hell out of a 9mm in the safe. Or a .32 NAA in the pocket beats the 13 round XD45 at home. You named the 3 things most seen on the streets so I guess the mouse gun is ok after all.

5. ABNAK

ABNAK

Apr 22, 2005
    Tennessee
    Remington 102gr Golden Saber. Heaviest JHP in that caliber. In fact, one of the heaviest loads in that caliber period.

After penetrating 4 layers of a bath towel and into my swimming pool from a Ruger LCP.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  6. If I owned a .380, this is what I would carry:

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=127

JHP's won't expand/penetrate properly. You want a hot, heavy ball ammo IMO.

.380 is a perfectly good SD caliber for pocket carry, BTW. Of course a 9mm is better, and a shotgun is better than that, and a tactical missile is better than that, and a blah, blah, blah.

Use the Buffalo Bore and unload into the face or spine. Repeat as needed.

7. USAglock

USAglock

Jun 24, 2009
    FMJ or Hornady CD

8. stengun

stengun

Nov 20, 2004
    Bugtussell, AR
    Howdy,

I have an old AMT .380 Backup SA and I rarely carry it but when I do it is loaded with a limited production 115gr JHP ( The company went out of business back in the mid 90's). It runs about 975ft/sec out of my gun and will expand to around .50" and will shoot through 2 water jugs stuff full of soaked newspaper. I shot a big female coyote broad sided with this load at about 25' and it shot all the way through her rt shouder and come out her lt shoulder and kept going. she ran about 50' and died.

I'm betting/hoping that 5 or 6rds wwill stop a BG.

The key to stopping power with a .380ACP is to shoot all the way through the BG.

Paul

9. FinnFanatic

FinnFanatic Stinkin badgers

Jul 14, 2007
    South Texas
    Well put. That being said, I use Winchester FMJ in my KelTec .380.

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

I don't leave my carry gun in the safe when I go to town Hoss. I got it on me.

I named nothing. I called the 380 a mouse gun. Your correct, the rest are mouse guns as well. You will find a ton of folks in the city with the (380, 32's 25's and 22's) in their pockets.

Your correct again. If you want something to help get you killed, carry one, that's OK, as you say

And if they all jump off a bridge, are you going to follow suit ?

I am not trying to atttack any one. He!!, I'm trying to save your life.
    When you have been shot, or have shot others, come back and tell me your experiences. I am simply (without trying to share mine, and would rather not), trying to tell the OP it is not a wise thing to carry.

Let me say it again. Not a wise idea. I don't care how convienent it is. I carry a 1911 45acp when in the city, and any one can carry a small G27 or G26. OR G23, G30 or the like.

But no, people look at these little pop guns and say, wow this will fit in my pants pocket perfectly, it won't bother me. Then after they have been attacked and if they survived, they wish to God they had blown some good holes through their attacker. This is not going to happen with the mouse guns.

If your a cop and have to have super deep concealment, and have ben trained in the art knowing how to kill men. Most cops aren't. Then I can understand that. But the average Joe is a walking corpse already, thing he will handle the violent banger after his billfold, or the two violent dudes, and wow what if there are three.... As you go down, I wonder if your last thought will be. But my little gun sure was light and fit in my britches well ? !

Please do not be fooled by all the poor folks on the planet singing the praise of the mouse guns. If you just GOT TO carry it for a BUG and a larger caliber for your primary, that is altogether something else. But primary carry. Please don't.

Example: "Well it is more convient to just walk out to the mail box with it, or run right quick down to the ma and pa store, etc etc.

Well, let me ask you this. Cannot an attacker weighing 250 #'s and stoned attack you from the bushes while you get your mail ? You mean down at the ma and pa store, there is NO chance of a couple of crazies who don't even give a dang about bein shot can't jump you?

A heavy can of beans to the forhead would serve you better than a few mouse gun rounds sprayed all over the body from a shaky hand. If your going to even miss COM, would you not rather do it with a larger caliber?

Am I being a tad strong with ya.. Perhaps. I did that with my kids growing up when I knew what I was telling them would keep them on the right path and out of harms way on down the line...

You do what ya want to.

I am suggesting to ya I wouldn't do it. ;)

Good luck out there.

CanyonMan

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Not being smart man, but if you are attacked by bath towles and a swimming pool your bullets will all look this way. Go out and shoot that same round into a pile of (green bones), and a gut pile from you local slaughterhouse covered with a shirt and coat, and then tell me what it did, what it looked like and the damage it caused.

These guns are last ditch effort guns in case the 'primary carry gun goes south."

Stay safe.

CanyonMan

12. ABNAK

ABNAK

Apr 22, 2005
    Tennessee
    I didn't necessarily advocate it as a primary carry gun. The OP asked what round for .380 and I answered. And yeah yeah, a block of gelatin wearing denim or jugs filled with wet newspaper will be dead too right? I agree 100% with the "slaughterhouse" angle---I'd love an opportunity to try out different loads on real meat. I'll bet your .45 slugs wouldn't look the same either. In fact, I've never seen pics of bullets recovered from real shootings that look anything like gel test results.

FWIW I test all my bullets the same way: 4 layers of bath towel into the pool. If nothing else it gives a standard by which I can see how various calibers/brands work (or don't). That way they've all been through the same-o same-o.

Oh BTW, 155gr Winchester Rangers went completely through the bottom of my pool, about 48" of water after the 4 layer towel test. Overpenetration ya think?

13. Keep lugging around your 1911, CanyonMan. More power to you.

But the thread wasn't called "I'm a little kid and I need a lecture on what caliber to carry."

It's about which .380 load to put in his carry gun.

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Hey cool.

YES, my FMJ's out of the 45acp, and the GS's and GD's look a tad deformed after these test on the ranch here, but they sure made big holes and got a good deal of penetrtion. I understand that not every one can have the place or means to run test like this bud, just pointing out to ya again. The water test will no wise give you the answers you need . And in a mouse gun a JHP is absolutely not even a consideration....

Sorry about your pool !

CanyonMan

15. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

While I only carry my Kel-Tec P3AT on occasion in my weak side front pocket, it is a back up to the 1911 on my hip.

In my .380, I personally choose and like the 90 gr. Federal Hydrashocks. They seem to cycle well and I have gotten pretty consistent results with my un-scientific testing. YMMV.

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    Ive answered the OP's question several times i believe... "if you got to" carry FMJ's NOT jhp's..

Never seen so many folks get Po'd at a guy trying to save their life..

It's ya'lls life. Use it well..

BTW.. I will keep packin around my 45acp, or 40s&w, or 10mm, and some day we may be in the same place at the same time, and If we have to use our weapons, you'll get a warm fuzzy feeling when I save your butt.

Just a thought.

Stay safe

CanyonMan

17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

Hey bud. I've known you on GT for a spell now. To be very direct about your question.

I would strongly suggest the Buffalo Bore. That would be it.
    Here is a link for ya. http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=29

Good shooting amigo.

CanyonMan

18. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Without trying to start a caliber war...that is one of the best things I have heard all day. :rofl:

I am on bored with the "Shoot the biggest, most powerful gun you can shoot accurately and comfortably." I realize that will vary from person to person. For me though, that is a full sized 1911 and two 10 round mags loaded up with a good quality JHP round. :supergrin:

19. ABNAK

ABNAK

Apr 22, 2005
    Tennessee

Actually, if I was going to recommend a .380 "heavy" load might as well go with the Golden Saber as it still weighs 102gr (more than the Buffalo Bore) and even if it doesn't open up it is still then a 102gr FMJ right? Weight is weight if you discount the possibility of expansion. If you're lucky a piece or two of that hard brass jacket *might* peel back and do a little cutting so might as well stick with the Golden Saber IF you use anything in .380.