close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.380 124 grn cast lead bullet loads with Unique?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by JDSTG58, Sep 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

Feb 4, 2008
    USSA
    Hi All
    I'm looking to load .380 bullets with 124grn cast lead and unique. Anyone have load data to start me off? The bullets will be from a Lee Mold if that matters. thanks

2. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    There is something close to that in my Lyman cast bullet handbook. I'll look it up later for you. If I forget, bump the thread. I loaded a handful to shoot through my buddies P3AT at the starting charge and they worked. I didn't clock them or shoot for accuracy. They didn't show any signs of problems for whatever that is worth.

3. The only lee cast bullet I see- 380- in the Lyman cast bullet manual weighs 102 grains.
    Lyman cast 356242 mold weighs 120 grains.
    It shows Uniqe starting at 2.2 grains.

4. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

Feb 4, 2008
    USSA
  5. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    I don't cast so I know nothing about your mold. It might just be the maker stretching the advertising.

I don't think anything heavier than a 100gr bullet in the 380 is going to give good, reliable results.

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I can confirm Norton's 2.2 start charge. They list a max of 2.8 so with that broad of a range, you should be more than safe with the 2.2. Lyman shows a RN bullet similar to the Lee, but not the same of course. That's why you start low and work up as always. Personally, I would try a few at 2.0. My personal goal would be to make a load that shoots straight, cycles the gun reliably, and doesn't batter the gun. If a light load runs the gun, I would go with that. It's not like you'd need a round for Kodiak bear defense, so the 2.8 seems a little unnecessary. Although, a 12x grain bullet at 7xxfps wouldn't be a bad penetrator for self defense.

7. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

Feb 4, 2008
    USSA
  8. sourdough44

sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    WI
    You may find a workable load, though it seems on the heavy side for a 380. I top out at 100 grns with the 380, even they are a little slow.

9. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Yup. That's what I wanted for my wife's P32. I found data for 32 ACP from C.E. Ed Harris for cast bullet 32ACP loads and got the Lee 93 grain RN mold. I use a little less Bullseye than he recommended and it cycles the P32 perfectly and hits the target at 15 yards no problem. It doesn't pummel the gun from what I can tell, the recoil is a tiny bit lighter than factory 32ACP ammo, and I have ball ammo for about $2.00 a box or so.