close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

38 super magazine?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by DNS, Dec 2, 2012.

1. DNS

DNS

Jun 15, 2002
    IN
    Are the 38 super metalforms that cdnn sells good mags? If not what brand do you recommend?

2. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan

Jul 15, 2010
    KY
    I own a few, they've been fine for me. If you're willing to spend more, I hear Tripps are hard to beat.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    CDNN used to carry Mec-Gars in .38 Super, which is my preference.

Metalforms are OK because they're cheap and you can live with some of the minor imperfections. My choices are:

1. Tripp Research (just bought five of them for my new Talo Lightweight Commander .38 Super).

2. Mec-Gars

3. Chip McCormick.

I have great lucks with Mec-Gars and Chip McCormicks for my various M1911s. Not so great with the Wilson in calibers other than .45ACP.

4. For my XSE LW Commander in 38 Super I have only bought a few more mags from Colt. I do not carry it, but the Colt mags have worked fine when I shoot it.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I wish that I had gotten the XSE Lightweight Commander when it was chambered in .38 Super instead of buying the Talo Custom Carry - it's the same thing but having an ugly ass two-tones paint job.

The Colt mags are OK, my preference is to have a captive follower so that it wouldn't scratch or gouge the aluminum frame during the recoil process.

6. Lew-G17

Lew-G17

Feb 3, 2002
    Central, NC
    I have had good luck with Mecgar mags for all calibers in my 1911's and Hi Powers

7. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    The mags Wilson uses in their .38 Super CQB Compacts are Metalform mags cut down. I have several and they work fine. I do not think anyone else makes compact .38 Super mags.

The other makers named have great reps as well :)