Glock Talk banner

.38 SPL Standard Pressure Loads

3K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  Leigh 
#1 ·
Anyone use and rely on standard pressure .38 Special loads for self-defense? If so, which one or ones do you prefer? I normally carry +Ps, so just curious.

#5 ·
So no particular favorites, then?

#6 ·
When I carry 38 special, I carry Federal Nyclads.

If those weren't available I'd carry Win. STHP, Federal wadcutters, or GD short barrel; in that order. All of those are standard velocity except GD sb, which are +P.

#7 ·
Do they still make the non - +P nyclads? The +P nyclads don't expand worth beans.

#11 ·
70 years ago quite a few police departments relied on 38 special for self defense. A lot of them used 158 grain semi-wadcutters (SWC) or 158 grain round-nose flat-points.

#13 ·
70 years ago quite a few police departments relied on 38 special for self defense. A lot of them used 158 grain semi-wadcutters (SWC) or 158 grain round-nose flat-points.
A lot of them issued 158 grain lead round nose bullets that didn't work worth a darn, in multiple shootings.

I do like that Buffalo Bore load. That has promise.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

#14 ·
#15 ·
The BB 158gr LSWCHP would be my choice for non +P. My choice is the older Rem or Fed 158gr LSWCHP +P load. Nothing sexy about them, they just work in 2"-3" guns, even better in a 4" gun.

#18 · (Edited)
not much on the shelf in my area, so I'm loaded with 158gr lead round nose, there was Hornady 110gr +p, but I thought they seem a little light:cool:
Anything will be better than the ole widow maker, 158gr LRN. The 110gr loads will shoot a lot lower, but really, any 125-158gr jhp is miles ahead of the 158gr LRN.

#19 · (Edited)
I've got a nice 37-2 DAO that I want to keep tight and in good condition, so I only run standard pressure loads in it.

I picked up a couple of 110gr JHP's to use (I'm not nearly as brand fussy as I was a young man & firearms instructor, although I still prefer the newer designed hollowpoints, given my choice ;) ).

If I couldn't get more of those (especially due to the ammo production versus buying/hoarding conditions of the market for the last couple of years :upeyes: ), I'd be fine carrying one of the major brand 158gr LSWC standard pressure loads.

I'd even carry one of the major American brand 148gr target WC loads, if need be.

That 37-2 only sees occasional range training/quals, though, and the rest of the J's I use for much of my training/quals see a mix of different +P loads for much of their training/qual/carry use. Being a long time revolver shooter, I acclimated myself to +P's in the little 5-shot snubs rated for their use. It's easier in the steel guns than in the increasingly lighter models, granted. ;)

#20 ·
I carry standard .38 HPs....You can use a +P round in a standard .38 as long as you don't shoot them for practice on a regular basis, and just use the +P for SD.

#23 ·
so what is the deal with the 110 grain +p,it seems to be the only thing on the shelf in my area. for what I have been hearing, 125 - 158 are better weights for the 38 spl. I agree that modern ammo, and hollow point designs being used are better options than the old lead round nose, so why am I finding these 110 grain light weights on the shelf, are they lighter recoil?

#24 ·
Same here, blazing hot out of a 4", very adequate out of a 2".

Anything will be better than the ole widow maker, 158gr LRN. The 110gr loads will shoot a lot lower, but really, any 125-158gr jhp is miles ahead of the 158gr LRN.
All this talk about this round...I'm gonna shoot a hundred of them tomorrow!

I carry standard .38 HPs....You can use a +P round in a standard .38 as long as you don't shoot them for practice on a regular basis, and just use the +P for SD.
Agree!

HR:cool:

#26 ·
I was partial to Remington 125gr lswchp for a long time but I happened on a good deal for some 125gr +P Gold Dots and bought a mess of 'em which I carry now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.