close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.38 spl +p: Corbon DPX or Speer Gold Dot?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by phred119, Aug 25, 2010.

1. phred119

phred119

Sep 29, 2004
    South Carolina
    Does anyone have any comparison info between the Corbon 110 grain DPX round vs. the Speer 135 Grain Short Barrel Gold Dot in a S&W J frame or Ruger LCR?

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    The Speer gets it's advertised velocity, the Corbon often doesn't.

3. BWT

BWT

Apr 27, 2010
    USA
    I found the Speer easier on the hand. Those are my two favorite rounds tho.

4. mikegun

mikegun

Jun 22, 2006
    colorado
    I use both,, and i find the Speer is a little easier on the hand, but i prefer the DPX, in my LCR, to me its a louder more ACCURate more powerful round, DPX is that way especially in 38+P.ammo i try and use DPX in my Glock 23, my LCR and MY LCP, they make a very good 380 round as well, i use all DPX for carry only as it is very expensive....

5. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    The DPX will always open up. Repeat: ALWAYS. No other bullet can make that claim. NONE. You make the choice.

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    There's no such thing as "always". Cor-bon certainly doesn't market it as such.

I just wish DPX wasn't $1.50 a round. Makes it a bit impractical to test 100+ rounds in multiple guns.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  7. I'm not sure how many shallow cavity Gold Dots you've personally tested; but the hundreds I've tested have always expanded, they don't plug up. Limited expansion testing with Hornady's FTX bullet has been positive.

Bob :cowboy:

8. degoodman

degoodman Out of Columbus

Jun 7, 2004
    Marysville, OH
    They both shoot good. They're both hot, so shooting them for an extended session in a snubbie isn't all that fun. They'll both ruin a BG's afternoon if you put one in the boiler room. Neither are a magic death ray.

Good luck finding the DPX for less than $1.20 - $1.50 a round. The component bullet, all by itself, is around $.80 each.

The GDSB round is obtainable fairly consistently around here for $.45 - $.60 a round in LE packaging at gun shows. If you're really pinched, its around $1 a round in 20 round civilian boxes. No matter how you slice it, its a damn sight cheaper to shoot.

9. Little Joe

Little Joe

Dec 28, 2007
    At The Ready
    Would the DPX penetrate a soft body armor vest? More criminals are wearing them these days. If so, I would prefer a mag full of DPX to get things started if that situation was forced upon me.

LJ

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Both rounds are not commonly found in the gun stores where I've looked in recent years, and when they are found the prices are high.

The Speer 135gr +P load seems to have established a decent reputation among knowledgeable folks who have tested it. It exhibited decent penetration & expansion when I watched it tested in a hosted gel test event (fired from a S&W 360PD) some years ago, when it was just being released on the market. It's one of the loads I use in my J-frames, but not the only one. I've had some luck keeping a small quantity replenished for J-frames, but scarcity has resulted in me continuing to keep some other loads at hand, too (like the Rem GS +P and LHP +P loads).

Some folks aren't able to accurately & effectively shoot their J-frames with +P loads, however, and continue to use various standard pressure loads, including the old fashioned target wadcutter. Accuracy and placement is better than misses, regardless of the load & bullet, I'd suspect.

The short-barreled 5-shot revolvers generally require more of the shooter in the way of ability than the larger revolvers. The very attributes which make so handy and attractive for lawful concealed carry usually make them harder to shoot.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  11. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA

I agree, I've seen examples of partially expanded DPX .38's, the problem I suspect had to do with low chrono readings in the 900fps range instead of the advertised 11-1200fps.
    The Gold Dots early on have shown some erratic velocities too, from a Taurus 85 (ported), but generally they are pretty close or even above the adv velocity and I have more faith in heavier bullet weight, when all else fails.

12. novaDAK

novaDAK

Apr 17, 2006
    --No.

13. degoodman

degoodman Out of Columbus

Jun 7, 2004
    Marysville, OH
    Utter BS.

Once the statement was made that "No conventional hollow-point ammunition was able to penetrate the car door. Some didn't even make it through the first layer. None made it through the second layer." Absolutely nothing in that article can be viewed as truth. Period.

14. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    And your proof? Have you shot a car door?

15. carbofan21

carbofan21

Jul 16, 2006
    the 135 grain +p gold dot is used extensively in law enforcement. it is street proven, and can be had for about $0.50 per round. any police police departments using corbon dpx or buffalo bore? i don't know of any. they cost about 3X as much as the speer load, so the choice is easy for me.

16. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Aug 22, 2009
    The Speer bullet probably has alot more real world feedback due to the fact it is used by NYPD. Although the DPX is generally known to be a good round in whatever caliber. I wouldn't feel bad about carrying either one in my frame. I haven't shot the DPX in my 642. I carry the 135gr. Gold Dot in it. Thank God I haven't had to shoot anyone with it. But it's pretty stout in my 642. But it is a +p round. It is also very, very accurate in my j frame. I usually carry it or when I can't find it the old 158gr. +P LSWCHP. It has a proven track record. Recently I got some of the 110gr. non +P rounds to try.
    A couple of guy brought some of the Critical Defense rounds from .380 to .45 to the range. They shot them though everything from water to sand with four layers of denim in front of them. Plus soaked phone books. Every single caliber went through the four layers of denim and whatever they hit they expanded. No they did not penetrate or expand like the Winchester 9mm 127gr. +P+ round I usually carry. But they are not made to. They seemed to go pretty deep though and got good expansion. The .38 non +p's expanded around .50 caliber and I don't think on a clothed felon on a frontal shot they would have any problems reaching pretty deeply into the heart. Which is exactly what they were made for. Not going throungh car doors. How many civilians will be shooting through car doors anyways?
    Also every round fired everytime. I've read some reports of earlier rounds not always lighting up. Everyone I fired and they fired went off. The round is stout compared to WWB 130gr. fmj. but not nearly like a +p load. I think it's a good compromise in the really light guns.

17. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Aug 22, 2009
    Just want to throw this out there although it's not directly related to the discussion. I still for the life of me don't understand someone recommending a short barreled j frame for a beginner. Short sight radius, vestigial sights at that, short grip (if you go to the big rubber grips why carry it since it prints), long DAO pull for real life use, with effective loads lots of blast ane recoil, and 5 rounds. Someone said it. "A j frame is an experts gun, not a beginner".