38 special

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by rustytxrx, Apr 20, 2013.

1. I bought colt from a deputy Sheriff in 1957. I know from the ss# it was made in the 1920s. I am careful not to shoot +p in it. As you can see it has not been shot a lot but I have carried it for many many miles. Well before carry in Texas it rode close but out of sight.

I have used two loads in the pistol. 158gr cast lead hp at around 750fps and 148 gr hollow based wade cutter loaded backward (used to be very popular in the 60's) at about 800 fps.

It is kinda funny today but I never felt under gunned with what I taught the threat would be. When I carry it today I still don't feel under gunned. Today I got carry pistols that double the energy easily of the colt. They don't carry as well as the colt. Colt carries very well with iwb holster and is very quick to draw and shoot.

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 rustytxrx, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  2. Looks nice

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. That gun makes my eyes light up:cool:

A Colt like that with honest wear and a history is far more attractive in my eyes than the identical one NIB with the original receipt from the hardware store.

I have several revolvers that have some history, including a much newer model 10 that I load with a 158gh SWCHP at standard .38 velocity. I never feel unarmed with it.

#3 countrygun, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  4. rusty, I have to agree with those who like you place value on personal history, and if your pistol suits you well you should stick with it.

"Ya dance with the one what brung ya."

#4 unit1069, Apr 21, 2013
  5. I used to carry a post '72 Det. Special as a backup. It's DAO with Spegel grips. I quit carrying it when I got a S&W 442. Less weight. Since I only employed it as a backup I never worried about losing a round going from 6 to 5. If I were however limited to only carrying a .38 as a primary weapon it'd be a Dick Special, albeit post '72 for +p.

My only complaint about the Det. Special is that for an extended range session the front top leading edge of the trigger starts to aggravate my index finger.

All in all, it was probably the high mark of snubby manufacture. None were classier nor better made.

6. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

So do you carry full wadcutter ammo in it? HBWC or BBWC at 800 FPS.

7. OldSchool64

Platinum Member

Vary nice indeed...:whistling:

8. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Congrats. I had a 1951 DS that I gave to a friend who needed a good gun. I missed it so much that in March 2006 I bought an unfired 1978 DS to replace it. I have only fired it a couple hundred times but I like having it. I consider the D frames to be the very best 38 Snubbies.

9. rusty,

Nice 38! I am a big fan of the 38 special, love to shoot that cartridge. I also load and shoot the 158g LSWC, and 158g plated round nose (Rainier's) bullets.

I have always wanted to pick up a short barrel or snub-nose but never did. I love the look of that colt.

I have a Model 10-6 Smith and Wesson .38 Special Revolver (heavy barrel),manufactured in 1967. It now has a bit of holster wear on the outside but clean as a whistle inside and still shoots like the day it came from the factory.

I don't carry this anymore but if I did would not by any means feel under gunned, it's just a bit larger (with 4" barrel) than I want to carry now-a-days.

Thanks for sharing - love the old school. :thumbsup:

10. Nice.

Cool history. You have had that pistol longer then I have been alive.

11. Rusty, your Colt was a fine carry handgun when it was new and it remains a fine and practical handgun now.

:wavey:

#12 ChiefWPD, Apr 21, 2013
  12. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I remember reading an article where the author recommended the 200gr bullet loading for a snubbie .38 Special. The bullet would tumble through flesh wickedly. The MV was in the 700 FPS range.

#13 SCmasterblaster, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  13. You needs rubber gripz wit da beam to be kool on this site!

That is a nice piece. Good job.