Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

.38 Special Revolver Defense Ammo

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by dajcarroll, Aug 27, 2012.

1. I usually run Gold Dots through my Glocks, and recently picked up a S&W Model 10-5 that is not rated for +P ammo. The only .38 special Gold Dots I can find are +P. Need recommendations for carry ammo... If you have this gun or one like it... what do you use?

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    S&W 10-5 .38spl Snub Nose
    Winchester 1300 Ranger 12 Ga.
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
    Savage 24 O/U - .22LR/410

Nov 5, 2001
    North Carolina
    158gr LRN from Buffalo Bore is what I carry sometimes. Right now I have loaded CorBon DPX 100gr copper projectile. It is a +P load.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

3. ChiefWPD

Dec 25, 2004
    I've fired many, many rounds of +P ammo out of my heavy barrel model 10, bought in 1971. You'll be fine. I recommend either the 158 grain semi-wad cutter hollow point load or the 135 grain Gold Dot load.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    In a steel numbered model K frame like that, +P isn't going to hurt it.
    It will be easy to shoot too. The 135gr +p Gold Dot is a solid load from the short barrel, I like the Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWCHP as well, +P or not, they are solid.
  5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    That K-frame is the same frame that takes the .357 Mag in the M19. I think that it'll handle .38 +P just fine.
  6. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I'm in the 158gn SWCHP camp.
  7. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

The non +P Buffalo Bore 158gr SWCHP is a winner!! You will get great speed and trust me, it expands and opens up nicely.
  8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Same here, or the Nyclad version.
  9. Glock Whisperer

Glock Whisperer

Dec 4, 2005
    The Critical defense .38s are POA/POI out to 10 yards from my SS&W 642. But the wadcutter is a decent alternative that is often overlooked, yet very effective.
  10. Winchester 130g PDX1. The fact I can walk into any Walmart and gun shop and buy it was the final selling point for me.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile
  11. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I have a 10-6 and have been told it will handle +P. I carry +P but shoot mostly standard 158g LRN for practice.

I personally like .38spl for self defense. I carry Gold Dot 125g +P in my 4" model 10. I carry Gold Dot 135g Short Barrel +P in my snubs.

The Nyclad load and the 158g LSWCH are also decent loads, but doesn't come close to the Gold Dot.
  12. pat701

Feb 2, 2005
    Beyond OZ
    158 gr +P standard for LEO for 40 years.
  13. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

"Expands and opens up nicely" in what?

Real human flesh, blood and bones or jugs of water and wet newsprint?
  14. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

Both. I have seen them removed from bodies.

I also have to say that the lighter bullets depend on velocity and even thos designed for short barrels can be robbed of that velocity and or open prematurely because of things such as clothing, or even get clogged and not open. A heavy bullet isn't going to lose it's weght in clothing.
  15. LabTech

LabTech Village Jackass

May 23, 2005
    Scenic southeast Ohio
    Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel.
  16. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

I was specifically referring to Buffalo Bore's LSWCHP and not the low antimony dead-soft lead SWCHP loads by Fed, Rem and Win.

Are you saying you've seen shooting result(s) from BBA's loads? And how was it determined that what you saw was actually a BBA loading?
  17. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    No i didn't see any BBs pulled out, but not all of the other loads are what I would call "dead soft" that only applies to pure lead.

I personally don't carry any particular grudge against the light JHPs if someone else wants to use them, just my experience has pointed me in a different direction.
  18. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I would guess that a cylinder or three of +P rounds would not hurt the Model 10.
  19. same here 158 SWCHP or 135 g gold dot