close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

38 snub

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Wonky, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Wonky

Wonky

Aug 8, 2011
    Mr Ayoob,
    I've written to you several times and your replies are always helpful. Last year my husband died. We had shot his guns togther but they are too big for me (S&W 686, 629 etc). With your guidance I've purchase a Glock 26, Kahr P9 and enjoy shooting / carrying them. Everyone told me I also needed a light weight 38 snub nose so I bought a S&W 449 and shoot 130 grain gold dot (I think). It hurts my hand!!!. I like the idea of a snub nose...is the Ruger 38 an easier revolver to shoot? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Wonky

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Wonky, condolences on the loss of your husband.

The question of "need" can be a subjective one. If you're a firearms instructor and friends tell you that you "need" a revolver to demonstrate with, a .22 or .32 will permit that without hurting your hand. The difference between the LCR and the J-frame S&W with the same ammo is that the LCR comes with a cushier grip. You can get something similar from Pachmayr, Hogue, or Crimson Trace for your S&W .38.

If the perceived need is for defense, bear in mind that anything that hurts you in training may make you subconsciously hesitant with it in an actual emergency. If the Kahr and the Glock are fulfilling your concealed carry and home defense needs, where's the real reason to change?

Wishing you the best,
    Mas