close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.38+P Ammo Question

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by fla2760, Jul 30, 2010.

1. fla2760

fla2760

Aug 12, 2006
    FL
    I have a Smith model 60 that I bought new in the early 1980's. I want to know if it is okay to carry +P loads like the Speer 135gr short barrel load in it, or is the Federal Nyclad standard pressure load better for the gun? Thanks in advance. Steve

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    My personal experience and the collective experience have both been that all-steel S&W J-frame .38 Specials, including the all stainless guns such as your Model 60, are safe to shoot with +P. NYPD tested the available guns way back when with 5000 rounds, 2500 standard pressure and 2500 +P, and found no ill effects with them. LAPD and LASD authorize the Model 60 for backup and off duty carry with their issue +P. So does Chicago PD. All these agencies have issued +P for their officers carrying Model 60s.

The hammering of hotter loads pounds revolvers out of time sooner than standard loads, of course, but a reasonable amount of regular qualification and practice doesn't seem to harm them. I for one wouldn't worry about it.

best,
    Mas

3. fla2760

fla2760

Aug 12, 2006
    FL
    Thank You Mas. I will carry the Speer 135 gr in the 60.