close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.38 cal recommendation

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Ken43, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Ken43

Ken43

May 7, 2005
    Hi again Mas:
    I had a Ruger LCR which I traded for a S&W 340 PD. I thought the .357 would be better. I found out that the 340 is too light and .357 ammo had to much recoil. Is there a revolver you would recommend for pocket carry? Should I just keep the S&W and load it with .38 +P rounds. I was also thinking of going back to my Kahr PM-9 because of round count and I like the 9mm better than the .38 cal.
    Any thoughts will be appreciated.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    The ability to get fast, accurate hits is paramount, and ratcheting down to .38 Special +P is a plan I certainly agree with.

Since we're talking pocket carry, the switch from "hammerless" revolver to autoloader for that function is a personal one. Before deciding, I'd recommend timing yourself with several practice draws (unloaded) with each. Personally, I find the shape of the guns is such that I can draw the revolver distinctly faster, and I'd rather have five .38 Specials Right Now than seven 9mms a second from Right Now. But hand sizes and other factors differ, and each user has to find out for himself.

I wish you luck; please come back and tell us what you decide and how you made your decision.

best,
    Mas

3. Ken43

Ken43

May 7, 2005
    I sold my S&W 340 PD this morning. I will be carrying my Kahr PM-9 when I pocket carry. My normal carry is either my G-30 or my G-36, depending on what I am wearing.
    I tried drawing each and it was about the same. I also went to the range and I can get double taps off a lot faster with the 9mm. Plus the reloading is much faster with a magazine.
    Thank you for your input.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012