Glock Talk banner

365 days with Ruger SR9

46K views 89 replies 40 participants last post by  Nestor 
#1 · (Edited)
During the next year I'm going to share my impressions and experiences with Ruger SR9 - one that I've got recently.
Good or bad - I'm not really planning forward to be positive or negative about this pistol. I'm just wondering if this model can be a real alternative to the ever popular Glock 17 or S&W M&P 9. Only time will tell. I have to say that this, particular gun was pre-owned, but never fired before. After the initial inspection I have to agree with such statement. It came in the typical, Ruger plastic box supplied with the safety instructions, 2 magazines (pinned to 10 rounds thanks to the local regulations) and magazine loader (nothing fancy, but it works). It's the latest, so called 3rd generation (even though Ruger is not using such nomenclature) of the first ever, striker fired pistol made by this American company. Black slide on the black, polymer frame. Adjustable rear sights with the three dots system implemented. As we all are aware, Ruger is not afraid to go back to the drawing board and start fresh. That's exactly what happened with this pistol after it was introduced in 2007. I think that it's a good thing to see the company that is not afraid to admit that they made a mistake and fix it without trying to call the problem "upgrade" or blame the used ammo for the problems with the gun.
That's it for today. More details to come. Thanks!

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Yes Buck, limited capacity is one of our problems here, up North (10 for the pistols, 5 for the semi-auto rifles - with some exceptions). We also can't carry (except for a very few of us, professionally involved in some "dangerous" activities on daily basis). We just scrapped the so-called long gun registry, so there is slow improvement, but nowhere near Texas laws for sure :)
Anyway back to the topic, Ruger SR9 is less expensive pistol than the models offered by the competing companies (at least here) by about $150-190 - which for many people is a lot of money. As already mentioned the original model was recalled very soon after it was introduced. Ruger installed the new trigger assembly very Glock-like in appearance, but nothing as nice in terms of trigger pull. Owners were still complaining about heavy, gritty trigger pull, sticky magazine release button that could render the gun to be inoperable and fixed sights. To answer those complains Ruger made another modifications implementing the trigger group taken from the compact models along with the new magazine release button and adjustable sights. Also the slide was slightly modified as You can notice by looking at the pictures of the older guns.
Very first thing that I've noticed is how nice this pistol fits into my hand. Nothing like Glock 17. More like 1911 really and for good reason.

Unloaded pistol with the magazine inserted shows 731 grams (25.79 ounces) on my kitchen scale. I believe it's a bit more than M&P 9 or Glock 17, but not by much. Maybe the sights made out of steel?

#10 ·
Let's take a closer look at this pistol.
Thin grip frame with very simple, but functional reversible backstrap to accommodate the wide variety of hand sizes. The backstrap is not exactly as fancy as the solutions offered from the competition though. Single pin holds the backstrap made out of rubber of some kind in place and You have a choice between two sizes - flat which in my opinion simulates 1911 grip with flat mainspring housing and wow! ...curved one that reminds me GI mainspring in feel.

I really like the shape and size of the megazine release button. It's easier to use than any, oval one that I tried before. Finger works against the edge to release the drop-free magazine - quite similar to Glock pistols from what I can remember. Flat engagement surface to the rear helps to create positive inward push in my opinion. What I don't like is the ambidextrous button instead of the reversible one. I think that for the people with the big hands there is a slight chance of engaging the button on the other side of the frame while holding tight to the gun.
Since there is a magazine safety installed (that can be easily deactivated though) one may find himself during the firefight in really bad situation if such accident will occur.

Trigger reach is short, so I'm sure that the ladies would love this gun, especially because of the thin grip - just a bit wider than standard 1911. I can't verify the trigger pull weight, but according to the tests posted on the internet it should be 6 pounds with the reset distance of 0.33 of inch.
For those wishing to "mess up" with the trigger - Ghost Inc. offers the trigger connector for the SR pistols that suppose to improve the trigger pull significantly eliminating any overtravel and smoother up the pull. I have a standard configuration here and I'm going to keep it that way for now.
Trigger has a smooth surface that is easy on the finger. Of course there is a safety lever located inside the trigger face - exactly like on the Glock pistols.

#11 ·
Haven't shot an SR9. They do feel good in the hand, but I would use an M&P9 over the SR9 myself.

#12 · (Edited)
Yup Murph...it looks like the SR pistols aren't really all that popular and that's exactly why I decided to give it a try instead of M&P 9 or Glock. While I'm not even pretending to be an expert I think that I may have some valuable observations to share with the rest of You around May 2013.

#15 ·
SR9C story.

A couple months ago, a lady I taught to shoot, wanted to shoot in a live fire simulator trainer.
I don't know what you call it but it's a life size "video game" using live ammo. Somehow the various scenarios act/react lifelike to your actions/shooting like a good computer game.
The bad guys will go down if you hit them with a good "killing" shot but may keep fighting/shooting back when wounded or hit with a small caliber.

The woman was doing very good with several different guns. Then for what the operator said was a fast multiple bad guy scenario I loaned the lady my Crimson Trace equipped SR9C (above picture).

One at a time the bad guys came at the lady from all directions and all distances. The action was fast.
I was amazed at just how good the lady was with that gun.

I think there were seven bad guys total. The lady dropped them all before they got off a good shot at her.

The simulator operator said no one had ever gotten through that scenario without getting shot.

I was impressed with the lady's shooting and the SR9C.:)

#16 ·
The other day I broke out my Glock 17 and SR9 to do some dry firing. Both felt good in the hand but the SR9 did feel better. It also has a more natural feel and easier target alignment , the trigger also goes to the SR9. reliability has to go to the Glock based on the number of years in service, although I have had no issues with my SR9 and am very happy with it. Be safe.:supergrin:

#20 ·
Sold my SR9 because I was bored with it. I shot over 3k rounds and had zero issues. My model had the round magazine release and the old loaded chamber indicator, showed a red bullet when loaded indicator popped up. I have nothing but good memories of that pistol and my wife still carries her Sr9c. Fantastic shooter and very reliable. I sold it to a friend but he had to agree to sell it back to me before getting rid of it if he didn't like it.

#21 · (Edited)
I'll be heading to the range on Sunday, so hopefully a short range report will follow.
I cleaned the gun today and have some more pictures and observations for You.
The sights on the SR9 are adjustable for both windage and elevation and pretty easy to acquire even to my "getting older" eyes. I know that the fixed sights are available from XS Sights if that's your preference (maybe some other producers are also offering their products for this pistol, but this I don't know).

I like the fact that the rail is nearly invisible on this pistol - I personally don't like the rails, but I can see some use for them at times. Anyway - it's there is You need it.
Pistol has very low bore axis and good pointability - it comes on the target in quite natural way - not like the Glock pistols which are anything, but natural pointers to me.
I don't understand the safety idea really. I don't like it and I wish Ruger to remove it sometimes down the road. No problem with disengaging it though - I just can't see much use for it on the combat pistol with Glock-like safeties.
Pistol is absolutely safe without one. Huge loaded chamber indicator is overkill in my opinion as well.
Another thing - I wouldn't mind to see some more positive gripping areas on the slide. Slide serrations are fine while the hand is dry, but a bit of oil, sweat or...blood and it's quite difficult to rack the slide (at least on the new pistol).
Magazines have a nice feature though - flat ledges on each side, so the magazine can be easily removed from the gun in the event of a double feed. All You need in such case is to unload and reload the gun without need to lock the slide open before stripping the magazine. Could be a life-saving idea.
Quality of machining is ok, but I've noticed a few rough spots here and there, however it shouldn't affect the function.
After disassembly the pistol reminds me Glock platform a lot.

Process of taking the pistol apart is fairly easy probably similar to M&P 9 from what I was reading except for removing the slide stop pin. That's it for today. Thanks!

#26 ·
Nice looking gun. Have never owned a center fire weapon from Ruger, but the quality of the rim fires I own is top notch, so am curious.
At least equaled, and shouldn't hesitate on any model you like of theirs. All well made, quality pieces. I wouldn't say most of their stuff is top notch kimber ed browns, but it's definitely still great value for the money. Their revolvers are built like tanks. As I said, can't go wrong with anything they make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.