Glock Talk banner

365 days with Ruger SR9

46K views 89 replies 40 participants last post by  Nestor 
#1 · (Edited)
During the next year I'm going to share my impressions and experiences with Ruger SR9 - one that I've got recently.
Good or bad - I'm not really planning forward to be positive or negative about this pistol. I'm just wondering if this model can be a real alternative to the ever popular Glock 17 or S&W M&P 9. Only time will tell. I have to say that this, particular gun was pre-owned, but never fired before. After the initial inspection I have to agree with such statement. It came in the typical, Ruger plastic box supplied with the safety instructions, 2 magazines (pinned to 10 rounds thanks to the local regulations) and magazine loader (nothing fancy, but it works). It's the latest, so called 3rd generation (even though Ruger is not using such nomenclature) of the first ever, striker fired pistol made by this American company. Black slide on the black, polymer frame. Adjustable rear sights with the three dots system implemented. As we all are aware, Ruger is not afraid to go back to the drawing board and start fresh. That's exactly what happened with this pistol after it was introduced in 2007. I think that it's a good thing to see the company that is not afraid to admit that they made a mistake and fix it without trying to call the problem "upgrade" or blame the used ammo for the problems with the gun.
That's it for today. More details to come. Thanks!

See less See more
#78 ·
I think that majority of the Ruger clients are buying their guns for value/reliability reasons. They are ready to accept/work on some small imperfections like the one mentioned above. Sand paper and 20 seconds of my time fixed that just fine BTW. Pistol is reliable, accurate and inexpensive which for many people is the just right mixture. Of course it's impossible to please everyone.

#81 ·
I purchased a SR9C and love it. I too am shooting the snot out of mine just to prove or disprove it's reliability. So far it eats everything I give and throws the brass to my 3:00. I don't think it takes a back seat to any polymer gun especially in it's price range. I find myself grabbing it going out the door most of the time. The SR series is a winner. I have a minor dislike of the safety but I love the trigger. Way better than my G19's was.

#82 ·
I purchased a SR9C and love it. I too am shooting the snot out of mine just to prove or disprove it's reliability. So far it eats everything I give and throws the brass to my 3:00. I don't think it takes a back seat to any polymer gun especially in it's price range. I find myself grabbing it going out the door most of the time. The SR series is a winner. I have a minor dislike of the safety but I love the trigger. Way better than my G19's was.
Im up to around 1600+ through my SR9c still no failures.

#83 ·
Nestor....no more updates?
No, there will be no more updates as the pistol was sold.
I had to cover some bills and since I'm currently training to become the LE officer, Glock 22 will replace SR9 in my safe soon. Sorry, but life on limited budget forced me to shut down this little project. :wavey:

#84 ·
No, there will be no more updates as the pistol was sold.
I had to cover some bills and since I'm currently training to become the LE officer, Glock 22 will replace SR9 in my safe soon. Sorry, but life on limited budget forced me to shut down this little project. :wavey:
Aww :crying:

#85 ·
I have experienced 2 SR9s. One owned by a gentleman and one a 20 something female won at a local gun show. Both ran horribly. They both experienced ejection and feeding problems. The male, an older guy, kinda blew it off as it was a range gun. The female became very frustrated as it was going to be her defensive firearm. It was so bad that her shooting was influenced in a bad manner. She went from running the Lucky Charm drill w/ confidence to barely being able to keep rounds in an 8 inch circle at 10-15ft.

When discussing this w/ a co-worker he told a similar story. Same gun, SR9, same issues.

I know this is just a sample of 3 but it's an issue of 3 for 3. Not a real confidence builder. There's just not enough time to make such gambles.

#86 ·
I have experienced 2 SR9s. One owned by a gentleman and one a 20 something female won at a local gun show. Both ran horribly. They both experienced ejection and feeding problems. The male, an older guy, kinda blew it off as it was a range gun. The female became very frustrated as it was going to be her defensive firearm. It was so bad that her shooting was influenced in a bad manner. She went from running the Lucky Charm drill w/ confidence to barely being able to keep rounds in an 8 inch circle at 10-15ft.

When discussing this w/ a co-worker he told a similar story. Same gun, SR9, same issues.

I know this is just a sample of 3 but it's an issue of 3 for 3. Not a real confidence builder. There's just not enough time to make such gambles.
I gotta ask, how did they run for you? Light-weight polymer framed guns don't run well for some people, for some reason that's escaping me right now :whistling:

#89 ·
The same exact way. It's the firearm. I have never seen a firearm run differently from person to person where it was the firearms fault. The M&Ps ran w/o issue.
Wow, zombie thread!

I assume you meant to say where it wasn't the firearm's fault. I have seen this personally. My brother owns a pistol that seems to work just fine for him and for me, but our other brother consistently limp-wristed it until we had him straighten his arms a bit and lean into it. Was that the firearms's fault? With a light frame, at some point the gun won't cycle if you don't hang onto it. That's simple physics, not the fault of the firearm.

#90 ·
I liked that SR9 so much that I purchased a brand new Ruger 9E couple of months back. I think it’s quite an improvement over the original SR9. More to come. Yes, I know that this thread is old :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.