365 days with Ruger SR9

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Nestor, May 1, 2012.

1. I will be watching your post. I like the Ruger SR series. The trigger is very light and smooth. Ruger is putting out some nice guns.

Still watch'in. :popcorn:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #41 Boot Stomper, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

250 rounds of 115 grain FMJ today.
    That wasn't my day as I was only able to squeeze maybe 3 decent groups during the whole session.
    On the positive side the pistol functioned without a single problem.
    It's funny how the trajectory of the empty casings was changing during this month. When the pistol was new (as You can remember) my forehead was constantly bombarded by the ejected empties.
    Later only 1 out of 5 was landing on my head.
    Now all the empties were ejected just over my head and usually landed...in the hood of my hoodie. I need to change the outfit going there next time :supergrin:
    Round count so far is 720 without single malfunction of any kind.

#42 Nestor, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  3. Glad to read your followup report. Good to read the fired cases aren't hitting you in the face anymore unlike my 3rd gen Glock 19. I haven't shot the current SR9, but I'm glad to read Ruger has improved the trigger.

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

As the ejector wears in, it'll shift your empties elsewhere.

My brother's 1991A1, when new, ejected left, right, forward, back, straight up.....changed with about every shot.

After around 300 rounds it settled down to forward-right and has stayed there ever since.

5. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

You know Murph, after moment of reflection, I really like this idea of collecting the brass in the hoodie. Some people are crawling all over the space and all I have to do is to dance a bit to empty the hood once I'm too rear heavy :supergrin:

#45 Nestor, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  6. It'll be really handy with snow on the ground. :cool:

7. I they'd ever blacken the serial number and make the loaded chamber indicator less HUMONGOUS I'd probably buy one or two.

8. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

It's my understanding that the loaded chamber indicator can be removed and replaced with non-functioning piece of steel.
    Serial number plate?
    Easy to paint yourself.
    I can't really comment on the prices South of the border, but I just realized that SR9 is $300 less expensive than Glock Gen4 here and so far I'm very happy with its performance.
    Who knows?
    Maybe it's worth trying?
    Way too early to really say anything for sure, but so far so good.

9. I'd considered the paint idea before but do they make kinds that can stand up to wear ans tear and gun oil wipedowns etc..... Had not heard of the metal bar before. Wonde if that could work against you in court ?

10. "Loaded When Up" sounds like a great tatoo idea. :embarassed:

11. Looks like a nice gun. I almost got the SR40 before I decided to go Glock (and didn't look bock haha). Anyway, I liked the price of the gun but I LOVE Ruger. I didn't really wanna go with a foreign made gun, I wanted American. But I decided to go Glock for one reason or another, and am curious to know how this gun works out for you.

12. JohnnyReb

Lifetime Member

Bump for updates. I'm really thinking about picking up an SR9.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Well...nearly five months later I'm back to the range with Ruger SR9.
    All good - no problems to report - 150 rounds of the PMC FMJ 124 grain with not a single problem...well except a few empties to the forehead :)
    All the targets were set at 8 yards today (actually the target retriever didn't let me go any farther due to malfunction).
    Next time I'm going to test the pistol with the defensive ammo from Speer - Gold Dot 124 grain.
    I have a feeling that everything will be working just fine.
    Round count is 870 without a single malfunction of any kind.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

#53 Nestor, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  14. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Interesting video - trigger demo on SR9c, XD(m) and Glock 30 (both the compact and full version of SR9 are sharing the same trigger).
    May give You a bit of perspective on stock trigger of this pistol...

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFfrNWddYqs"]Trigger Comparo: Ruger SR9c, Springfield XD(m), Glock 30 - YouTube[/ame]

#54 Nestor, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  15. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Today the pistol passed 1000 rounds mark.
    I ran 100 FMJ 115 grain Remington rounds, 10 EFMJ Federal Guard Dog 105 grain rounds, 20 GDHP Speer Gold Dot 124 grain rounds and finished the session with tha mix up magazine full of everything (loose mix up ammo that I had in my treasure box - reloads, Remington Golden Sabers and good only knows what else). 138 rounds all together...and - no problems to report.

[​IMG]

I guess it's time to write something about my up to date experience with Ruger SR9.
    If I'm going to keep this pistol (which is very likely) I'll need to replace the sights - the dots are bit too small for my liking and I would love to have them bigger and more visible (especially under low light condition).
    I don't like the safety at all and can't understand why it's even there. I heard about the problems that the owners of SR40 encountered during the long range sessions.
    While gripping the gun high the safety kept banging their palm and did cut the skin.
    Not fun and I certainly can see that with more recoil.
    Ruger, please take away this safety.
    Big loaded chamber indicator is another possible problem, but only if You do carry that gun in the holster.
    I certainly can imagine that such a big piece of metal may catch on holster easily.
    Smaller would be much better.
    Otherwise I can't think about anything else to improve.
    Very nice trigger, good ergonomics, superb reliability in the good looking, accurate and inexpensive gun.
    You have it all there!
    No extensive wear visible anywhere.
    Just take a look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far I'm impressed.

16. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I forgot to mention about the discovery that I made today.
    I decided to change my grip and shooting stance from the very classic Weaver to this one:

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBkXdMThD8w"]Ruger SR 40 and Recoil Mngmnt Gun Talk Ruger 5 25 10 JARE H264 16X9 gun talk - YouTube[/ame]

To my surprise that new stance resolved the problem of the empties banging at my forehead. Completely.
    Now all are flying high to the right at about 4 o clock position.
    Back to Weaver and the problem did re-appear occasionally.
    I just need to improve accuracy with this new stance as it's not as good as with my original stance.
    Good thing is that there is literally no recoil now...pretty cool...ehhh :rofl:

#56 Nestor, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  17. Where did you purchase the slip on grip for the sr9?

18. How can you say the case is fully supported ?

19. Look inside the case. The brass is solid at that point.

The case is fully supported.