close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

357SIG proving to be an unbelievable manstopper???

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by glock20c10mm, Jan 15, 2010.

1. T-Rod45

T-Rod45
    Expand Collapse
    Loves The Glock

Thanks for the vid. It confirms my theory that the shelf difference is for seating the new RSA, however as people have posted on other forums, this position is null after the pistol is assembled... Which would explain why everyone who has posted that they are using a Gen3 barrel in a Gen4 gun has had 100% reliability.

I will have to put that theory to fact myself next weekend, as I have just won an auction on a Gen3 G32 barrel for my Gen4 G23. I will be running the 200 rounds I have of WWB .357sig to ensure it works. Results will be posted here. Hope I don't break a wrist... :rofl:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

Considering the source (YouTube) I would argue on that basis alone. Glock Factory Armorers cringe at the mere mention of YouTube. BUT, in the video, the shelves do look different between the 34 Gen3 and 17 Gen4. I would also say that he was comparing a 17 to a 34 barrel - but those should be exactly the same in that area anyway.

I have a Gen3 17, a Gen3 34, and a Gen4 17 whose barrels look to the naked eye exactly the same at the shelves. This prompted me to get out the calipers. On all my barrels the measurement(s) where I was best able to take them - top of shelf of the half moon cutout to the locking-notch/barrel hood corner on the barrel(s) all measure the same - .6665".

The Gen3s are both ODs with test fire dates of:
    G17 - 08/30/10
    G34 - 10/06/10

The Gen4 G17 is 06/21/12

In addition, and as noted above in my post # 894, for current ordering purposes, the Glock Armorer's parts list (also known as "Will-Fit Info") shows no difference between any generation barrels except as also noted above in that post #894.

We know that Glock does make product improvements and have (for instance) increased the support in .40cal chambers over the years.

That's as scientific and as rational as I can make it, but I have not called Glock.

3. T-Rod45

T-Rod45
    Expand Collapse
    Loves The Glock

Judging from my research and all the accounts/personal data of other's, I've pretty much narrowed the Gen3 vs Gen4 barrel debate/mystery down to two points:

1) The Gen3 and Gen4 barrels are different.

2) It doesn't matter.

#903 T-Rod45, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  4. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC
    Expand Collapse
    10mm defender

Sounds like that is probably right.

5. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

You must really like the .357 SIG.

6. Glockbuster

Glockbuster
    Expand Collapse

As a matter of fact I do SC, not to discredit the other popular calibers, I respect you all, and recognize the breach between them is small. But there is something enormously satisfying for me when I shoot my 357 sig. Oddly enough, I shoot more .40 than anything else, but can handle 357 sig just as good. In terminal ballistics, I give it an edge over the others.

7. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Is the .357Sig muzzle blast too bright at night?

SCMB

8. Glockbuster

Glockbuster
    Expand Collapse

Yes it is, and loud too, but not to where it will make a huge difference. I use XS sights and crimson trace on my G32 and G31. I do most of my night work at no more than 7 yards, maybe that´s too short a distance for some I don´t know. Come to think of it, I have a night session coming up on Friday :supergrin:

9. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Best of luck at your night session.

10. T-Rod45

T-Rod45
    Expand Collapse
    Loves The Glock

:wow: TRIFECTA !!!!!!!!!!!!! :wow:

[​IMG]

Finally got my G32 barrel! The Gen4 RSA fits in the Gen3 barrel cut out perfectly. Racked it about 30 times and chambered a few rounds of .357sig, and so far it seems to functon just fine. Can't wait to get to the range and put it thru its paces. :cool:

3-guns-in-1, baby........ :rock:

[​IMG]

11. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

Low flash powders can really help to cut down on muzzle flash. If I would shoot my outside range handloads (power pistol) at night I would probably go blind. PP is a very flashy powder in many calibers.

Jefferybehr here on GT posted some testing he did with powders at night with the .357sig but I can't find it. Some produced very little muzzle flash.

12. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

Nice setup. I need to get a 4th gen G-32 RSA for my 3rd gen G-32 and compare it with the Wolff recoil system I have.

Do you happen to know what the spring weight is on the gen 4 RSA assembly? I've grown quite fond of the #20 Wolff spring's characteristics.

13. T-Rod45

T-Rod45
    Expand Collapse
    Loves The Glock

Thanks! I have no idea on the spring weight but it's gotta be on the web somewhere...

14. T-Rod45

T-Rod45
    Expand Collapse
    Loves The Glock

Oh I forgot to mention! I have 150 rounds of Underwood Ammo coming in tomorrow!! I'll be heading to the range Saturday to do a function test with the gen3 barrel in my gen4 G23... 150 rounds of WWB then 50-100 of Underwood.

If it runs, and I like the shootability, then I'll be carrying with Underwood in the .357 configuration. 1,500fps baby! Stay tuned...

15. scottyd2506

scottyd2506
    Expand Collapse

I bought one of those 20 lb springs and I like it. Shooting full power 357 sig loads from my Glock 32 with the stock spring seemed to SLAM back the slide on recoil. esp the new underwood 125 gold dot 1500 fps loads.
    This puts excessive wear on a gun. the 20 lb spring cures that.

I only put maybe dozen rounds trough it with stock spring. You can tell a difference when you pull slide back.

16. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

I haven't shot any hyped .357sig ammo except for some 2007-version of Double Tap that may or may not live up to stated velocity figures, but I do know that every range and premium JHP ammo I've shot after installing the Wolff #20 RSA system is much more manageable than with the stock Glock RSA assembly. I understand that Underwood's published figures are the real deal so if you've moderated the recoil with the #20 spring then we've got another testimonial for the heavier assembly.

It just hasn't made any sense to me why Glock uses a standard 18# spring for 9mm, .40S&W, and .357sig. Instinctively I feel that .40S&W and .357sig should have a heavier spring load than 18# as standard issue.

17. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

And a spring change in a Glock is a simple maneuver . . . .

18. T-Rod45

T-Rod45
    Expand Collapse
    Loves The Glock

I don't even know if they make heavier springs for the Gen4... :dunno:

19. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

Yes it is with the Wolff system but I never found a stock Glock RSA assembly that offered heavier springs. I tried putting a flat wound 20# ISMI spring on a Glock guide rod but it was very difficult mechanically and because I had to dissemble the part to remove the Glock spring I never did trust it. I'm confident it will work, just not comfortable with taking apart the stock Glock RSA to put an aftermarket part on a Glock guide rod.

20. rustytxrx

rustytxrx
    Expand Collapse

Sorry I don't have a glock 357 sig but I have a neat one.

This is a Sig 229 SC sports Combo. has two barrels. A 357 Sig with compensator and target back sight plus a 40 cal slide and barrel. The letter is authentication that the serial number is a SIG Sauer P229 Sports Combo. It was maunfactured in December of 2001.

[​IMG]

:)

edit if this type thing interests you it is stamped made in Germany

#920 rustytxrx, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013