Glock Talk banner

357SIG--Just posted results of expansion and velocity tests...

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Why do stupid water jug testing when scientific & objective testing is at your fingertips? :wavey:

http://le.atk.com/resources/videos.aspx
My my, pls tell us how you REALLY think!

-------------------------

I test lots of bullets this way, and even if it's not as scientific as testing in, say, 10% ballistic jelatin, my results are highly comparable to each other. Bullets that come apart in water I do NOT want to use for personal defence. Bullets that expand correctly, stay together, and retain virtually all their weight I'm happy to carry for PD.

--------------------------

Now go cool off and try to do as your mother told you--if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything...or maybe she didn't tell you and that's why you're such a arrogant grouch.

#6 ·
Tiro, how 'bout for now on you just ignore my postings...sort of leave them to us idiots here on GlockTalk who feel there may be some useful info here.

Bye!

#9 ·
rusty, search for my posts, read the subject lines, and you'll find lots of post about the Barnes TAC-XP bullets.

#12 ·
Tiro, do you post anything positive or just sit around and gripe about everyone and what they do, what they carry, and what they try to share with everyone on the forum. Cripes.. now go back downstairs at mom's house and start eating your cereal sitting in your obgyn chair with a Captain Crunch hat on!

#13 ·
Tiro, do you post anything positive or just sit around and gripe about everyone and what they do, what they carry, and what they try to share with everyone on the forum. Cripes.. now go back downstairs at mom's house and start eating your cereal sitting in your obgyn chair with a Captain Crunch hat on!
Thanks for the info - I wasn't that aware. :cool:

#17 ·
OK, Range Gomer. Keep shooting your "scientific" milk jugs and watch your "6" for Aquaman!! :upeyes: :rofl:
'Range Gomer'? I must be really out of it--I don't know what that means.

#19 ·
Most bullets can be found in the various forums or youtube. Some of the testers you learn to respect their results.

Then the home boy water jug test is just an easy way to confirm that your gun does a good job with the bullet. After a while you end up with a number of bullets that you can compare the expansion and number of jugs penetrated to the testers results for the same bullets. You then have a good idea if you can use the water jug test a a guide to rounds you want to carry.

I am responsible for the rounds and carry and I own the bullet where ever it ends up. I do get a kick out of shooting water jugs. Must be the twelve year old in me

#20 ·
Most bullets can be found in the various forums or youtube. Some of the testers you learn to respect their results.

Then the home boy water jug test is just an easy way to confirm that your gun does a good job with the bullet. After a while you end up with a number of bullets that you can compare the expansion and number of jugs penetrated to the testers results for the same bullets. You then have a good idea if you can use the water jug test a a guide to rounds you want to carry.

I am responsible for the rounds and carry and I own the bullet where ever it ends up. I do get a kick out of shooting water jugs. Must be the twelve year old in me
And most every shooter has a water jug . . .

#21 · (Edited)
Thank-You for your tests. Shooting into water jugs is fun but does not give you an accurate picture(ballistics) of what
performance you actually get from any one ammo. When shooting into water the water pretty much acts like a solid wall-thus giving you false expansion readings and false
penetration readings. Why do you think people jump off a bridge? Because the water they are jumping into pretty much acts like a wall thus making their jump very terminal.

Shooting in gel is not totally accurate but much more accurate then shooting water jugs. The gel has a give & take response (similar to the human body) giving you both an accurate expansion reading & pentration reading. But
remember no gel test totally copies the affect of ammo shot into
a human body.:wavey:

#22 ·
OK, Range Gomer. Keep shooting your "scientific" milk jugs and watch your "6" for Aquaman!! :upeyes: :rofl:
Why do you keep going? I agree with the Op that if you don't have anything to add of importance stop with the insults. If a man wants to shoot milkjuggs who gives a crap? I like shooting them to just to watch them explode. Hell I like watching other people shoot them so I can watch them explode...

#23 · (Edited)
I agree that water jugs aren't scientific, but by pure definition neither are calibrated white lab coat tests scientific. Calibrated jell is based upon pig tissue that closely resembles human tissue but isn't actually human tissue. Only testing through human subjects will yield more accurate information and we all know that isn't going to happen until the New Stalinist Party takes over America.

I like the backyard tests as well as the white coat lab guy tests because it provides a way to compare the different results with specific ammos. Once I have satisfied myself that the specific ammo performs as advertised in all tests I will shoot that ammo to ensure complete gun/ammo reliability. Since there's no ironclad guarantees with anything in life a person makes his/her choices on the best information available.

The best recommendations for ammo performance comes from the "street" results in the aftermath of documented LEO encounters with criminals, from what I have learned, combined with the individual's testing of that ammo in his/her gun/ammo combination.

#24 ·
I agree that water jugs aren't scientific, but by pure definition neither are calibrated white lab coat tests scientific. Calibrated jell is based upon pig tissue that closely resembles human tissue but isn't actually human tissue. Only testing through human subjects will yield more accurate information and we all know that isn't going to happen until the New Stalinist Party takes over America.

I like the backyard tests as well as the white coat lab guy tests because it provides a way to compare the different results with specific ammos. Once I have satisfied myself that the specific ammo performs as advertised in all tests I will shoot that ammo to ensure complete gun/ammo reliability. Since there's no ironclad guarantees with anything in life a person makes his/her choices on the best information available.

The best recommendations for ammo performance comes from the "street" results in the aftermath of documented LEO encounters with criminals, from what I have learned, combined with the individual's testing of that ammo in his/her gun/ammo combination.
^ This
The gel doesn't test the hydraulic effect of a bullet either. People put way to much stock in that gel test. The tests were never supposed to test the bullet damage to a human, they were designed to test bullet performance in a substance that is like tissue.

#25 · (Edited)
Over the years I have tested tons of hard cast and FMJ handgun bullets in wood. Heavy weight hardcast bullets cut straight through and make big exit holes. Flat point Cor Bon Penetrators will as well and are even tougher. Sierra 300 grain .45 bullets really do have a hard core as do their 300 grain .44's. They will penetrate similar to a hard cast in a handgun if you prefer a jacketed bullet in your big bore handgun. The original Freedom Arms 300 grain jacketed bullet for the 454 is even tougher than the Sierra. A 200 grain 357 Magnum hardcast running at 1200+ will give a good 44 Magnum a run for the money as far as penetration goes. Sometimes folks just like figuring things out for themselves. Read Elmer Keith's books and he enjoyed bullet testing as well. And those Keith bullets will go deep and straight as well.

#26 ·
Shooting water jugs IS scientific actually. If it is a test that can be easily controlled and repeated it is scientific. It allows people to compare differences between one or two variables accurately for relatively low cost. What it is NOT perhaps, is as others are stating above very representative about what happens to a human body. There is however a correlation. Ballistics aren't as complicated as some people here would have you believe. With hollow points, generally, higher velocity yields more trauma, with larger secondary cavities. To a point this will be at the cost of penetration distance. After a certain point, the bullet will "over expand" and penetration will start to increase again... as we continue to increase the velocity, the bullet will begin to fragment. (Another place I am often scratching my head as many on this forum says that is "bad" because the bullet is "failing"... as long as penetration is sufficient, there is no way in Haydes I would call that a failure.) In handguns, that's about the end of it, because it's very difficult to get the velocity up to rifle speeds with a 4" barrel, not to mention the recoil becomes unwieldy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.