.357sig for bear?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by scotch208, Sep 21, 2009.

1. I am going deer hunting in couger and bear country and am wondering if the .357 sig would put them down. I would be using a g22 with a lone wolf 6inch barrel.
    I will be using an sks-m for my deer rifle incase anyone would want to know. Its an sks that takes ak style mags and i love the thing. My grandfather bought it for $50 back in the 90s before the AWB. I will never sell this rifle it have been dead accurate and 100% reliable through about 2000 rounds of mill surp ammo. It is also a nice light rifle that slings well, melts into your frame and you hardly know its there. :supergrin:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. A .357 will take down a bear or couger if you are quick enough to draw and shoot it in the head. I would prefer 10mm though.

3. Why not just use the SKS if attacked?

4. Why don't you try it and let us know how it goes? :whistling:

5. I wouldnt depend on a conversion barrel in a protection weapon.

6. G33

G33 Frisky!
    Millennium Member CLM

I would not use anything less than 10mm.
    Would go heavier if possible.
    :supergrin:

7. There are much better sidearm choices vs. a bear.

8. Werd. A G20 w/6" factory barrel in a hip holster sounds good to me. If you think you might be coming up against bears while you're in the woods, I'm pretty sure I would be carrying something larger than an SKS. My $0.02

9. I'd have to go 10mm with Double Tap beartooth loads.

10. RonaldG29

RonaldG29 Noah's Hero

.357 might take down a bear, however i would recommend a 10mm.

11. Good for koala bear, but there are better choices for North American bear...

12. Eventually. :supergrin:

13. The .357sig round is more penetrating than any other auto loading pistol round. I would troust it to take down a cougar or bear.. If it keeps coming put more holes in it.

Alex

14. I would leave the SKS and .357sig at home and just take a Marlin in 45-70 if I was going into country with big clawed creatures.

15. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

45/70 & 454:whistling:

16. Who would put aside their SKS and reach for a .357SIG in a (I assume) a handgun?

Not me! If I had an inkling I would see bear or boar, I would have a shotgun with 3"/magnum slugs, or at the very least, buck in it, to back up that SKS.

'Drew

17. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

We have a family friend and professional hunter, Art Jones, who brought down an elephant with an N-frame S&W .357 Magnum pistol (it wasn't pretty). Does that mean that everyone should go out and buy a Smith & Wesson Model 27 for their next elephant hunt in Namibia? Nope, I'm going with a .505 Gibbs or a .577 Tyrannosaur double rifle.

Because a thing can be done doesn't mean that it should be done. I'm sure that with proper shot placement you could dispatch a bear with a .357 SIG, but when I'm going into bear country I pack either a 6 1/2 inch S&W Model 29 or more frequently, a .454 Casull Ruger Alaskan in a Simply Rugged pancake rig.

18. IMO, yes. If you're a good enough shot under stress.
    Would I feel comfortable in carrying it? No.

19. Not to sidetrack the thread, but since he is a family friend and you might know, what valid reason could any professional hunter have for trying to bring down an elephant with a .357 magnum?

20. :popcorn: