Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

357 sig VS 40 S&W

Discussion in 'TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club' started by awdxtc, Sep 20, 2011.

1. awdxtc

Jul 8, 2011
    What is the advantage if any of the 357 sig vs the 40 S&W for ccw or home defense?
  2. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA

It's the lightning bolt effect...

FWI- That's an actual .357 sig being shot from the clouds. Not real lightning...
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    chemboy likes this.

3. awdxtc

Jul 8, 2011
    They just seem to have similar specs.
  4. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    The Bullet's construction can be a definite factor in terminal performance in any cartridge which is affected by its velocity upon impact. What these bullets encounter will also affect the performance...
  5. clarkstoncz

Sep 28, 2006
    I've owned a few .40s over the years..mostly Czs and Glocks.

Find the .357 SIG to have comfortable recoil over the snappy .40s.

Others on here have found the same.

Besides, that bottle neck is uber cool.

6. The .357 sig is a lighter, faster round that hits with more energy & can penetrate hard (steel/glass) barriers a bit better than the .40 S&W.

Compared to the .40, its recoil impulse allows for faster follow up shots. Not by much, but there is a difference to me.

It does seem to mirror the "lightning bolt effect" of the 125gr 357 magnum load and is gaining a reputation as a good one shot "fight stopper".

On the down side, .357 SIG FMJ ammo is not as common locally and costs more.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to get shot by either and both will do the job with good shot placement.
  7. NitLion

Feb 11, 2001
    +1...... I like the 357sig because I have found it to be so accurate. At home defense or ccw defense ranges, this is probably not a factor but at longer ranges it sure is nice.... oh also...this: :supergrin:
  8. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr Silver Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Have you Searched for this subject on GT's Caliber Corner?

Personally, I find the 357SIG to be the perfect combination of magazine capacity, knock-down power, penetration, and accuracy. I now have 2 Glocks so chambered, after going thru three .40s, three .45GAPs, and a 10mm.