close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.357 sig. tops?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 1canvas, Jan 13, 2010.

1. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

years ago the .357 mag 125grn. was suppost to be king for SD. if that is still true why is the 9mm and .40 so popular when we now have the .357 sig round? it would also seem that the .357 sig. bottleneck round would be the most reliable feeding round in an auto.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Free Radical

Free Radical
    Expand Collapse
    Miembro Antiguo
    CLM

.357SIG is a niche round. I think that it is gaining in popularity and I also believe the bottle neck cartridge offers a functional advantage, but there are many traditionalists that like what they carry now. To each their own.

3. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

The .357 Sig is a great SD round. Can be hard to find and pricey though.

4. fsqridah

fsqridah
    Expand Collapse

When the .357 SIG first appeared on the scene, it had some teething issues. For starters, the necked case was causing feeding problems (instead of preventing them). Some how the rounds were "nosediving" and causing bullet-down stovepipes. Secondly, the bullets used were of 9mm design, so they were too long. Once seated far enough to clear the OAL, you couldn't crimp them because the bottom of the bullet was below the case shoulder. This caused setback problems much worse than ever seen in 9/40.

These problems have been fixed, but those are probably the reasons that the .357 SIG got a really slow start. If those issues weren't enough to turn people away, the immense blast/recoil and increased wear and tear sealed the deal.

When you bring in a .355" autoloading cartridge that is supposed to duplicate .357 magnum ballistics, you've got a very short window to make it look good, and it just didn't happen. It'll catch on more as time goes by, but it will never replace 9/40/45, or even rival them in popularity.

5. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

Wow! I've never seen it described as "immense"!

I shot a G-22 for the first time about a month ago, with 180-grain WWB ammo. The recoil was surprisingly more severe than my G-32. A week before that I shot several magazines of .45ACP through a S&W 1911, which also had more recoil than my G-32. And I really don't know where "blast"comes into it.

My G-32 has somewhat more recoil than my Steyr M9-A1 but that's to be expected when comparing apples to oranges. There's a rhythm and technique for each different caliber, but the recoil difference between my Steyr and Glock is far less than between the G-32 and G-22. My subjective observation, of course.

#5 unit1069, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  6. LEAD

LEAD
    Expand Collapse

Theres a lot of good info here.

One thing I can't help but think about everytime people question how good the .357sig round is, when 9mm bullets come so close to the velocities attained with the sig round is; what about the wear on those 9s. Those .357sig guns are built to handle this punishment as its only ammo offerings, even target ammo, is loaded to the same or very close to the velocities of the full power self defense ammo. Running 9mm+p+ will put more wear on a 9mm pistol, than the target loads available. Shooting practice ammo for the .357sig is about the same in terms of wear, when comparing to shooting self defence ammo. I would think that a 9mm pistol would wear out from shooting a lot of 9mm+p+ before a .357sig pistol from the same manufacturer would shooting the avialable loads.

I like that the ammo I choose for self defense is loaded the same as the ammo I practice with. I can only assume most of you guys shooting 9mm+p+ or other 9mm self defense ammo really aren't getting the same feel with your practice ammo.

#6 LEAD, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  7. AWESOMO 4000

AWESOMO 4000
    Expand Collapse

The whole, "massive recoil and muzzle blast/flash!" thing about the .357SIG needs to stop. I can't tell the difference between my P229 in .357 and my M92FS Beretta. Unless your firing it at night and without ear protection, it is nothing to flinch at.

8. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

The .357 Sig. is a fine round. In just about every respect it is the auto-loading version of the load that made the .357 Mag. such an outstanding round for use by LEO's. As currently developed and produced, it is very effective. It may be that this round will see wider acceptance. Cost will be one factor. This afternoon I was at Wal-Mart. Winchester White Box .357 Sig. ammo was $26/50 rds. WWB .40 S&W ammo was $31/100 rd. value pack. WWB .45 ACP was $34/100 rds. Another factor will be muzzle blast/etc. Simply put, the .40 S&W is a very user friendly round when fired from pistols such as the G-22 and other similar sized handguns. Also there are many who simply prefer more bullet weight than can be loaded in the .357 Sig. which is pretty much limited to only a single bullet weight. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

9. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm
    Expand Collapse

I've heard tell that the 357SIG has kicked to 45 Auto to the curb and is now in 3rd place behind 9 and 40 in LE.

The 357SIGs popularity is still growing. Who knows what the future holds.

10. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse
    Expand Collapse

Interesting. :wow:

11. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

In LE circles, probably true. I love my P239. Blast is definitely greater than a 9mm+P but not off the chart. Recoil just isn't that much more. WHy is it not embraced more by LEA? Cost of guns, ammo & shootability. The 9mm is easy & cheap to train with. Probably the easiest round to get a novive (most nebw cops) up & running with. The extra blast of the 357sig can intimidate new shooters. Great round, even in smaller guns, something the 9mm lacks IMO.

12. Dauntless452003

Dauntless452003
    Expand Collapse

My 32 is pretty tame, as far as recoil is concerned, in comparison to a G23 I had at one point. As a result of a disability, I have to shoot one handed and have absolutely no problem handling the .357 SIG.

Additionally, if you purchase ammo through a company like Georgia Arms, it really isn't too terribly expensive. You can buy 1000 rounds through them for $310 which translates into 31 cents/round, which is equivalent to the above posted wal mart prices for .40 and less than the .45's.

13. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm
    Expand Collapse

Very good point. Too many people blow recoil of 357SIG and 10mm Auto way out of proportion.

14. fsqridah

fsqridah
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad to see my fully intended BS was caught. I don't find the .357 SIG to be any more difficult to control than .40S&W. It's snappier, but less torques less, so I think it's more controllable.

My point was that the perceived blast/recoil from the .357 SIG runs a lot of people off, regardless of how tame it might actually be for most. Exactly the same with the 10mm.

What I really get tired of is the whole, "It's just a 9mm +P++, nothing more." It's not, it's got a beefed up gun to handle the increased muzzle energy and completely different bullet construction to handle the added velocity. And flawless feeding as well with the ability to convert to a .40. I don't care how you put it, 9mm can't do some of those things, regardless of how fast you push it.

15. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse
    Expand Collapse

16. SDGlock23

SDGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Glockoholic

Tops?? I wouldn't say that, but it is a good cartridge no doubt as it feeds well and has good chamber support. It does a good job at replicating the popular 125gr .357 Magnum while offering higher capacity as well as comparably lighter weight handguns.

17. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm
    Expand Collapse

:agree: That sums up the 357SIG quite well!

18. fsqridah

fsqridah
    Expand Collapse

Yeah pretty much.

19. Bobcatbaseball

Bobcatbaseball
    Expand Collapse

People at the range always look when I start letting loose with the G33. Some know what it is and go back to shooting, some HAVE to ask..... I like it!

20. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91
    Expand Collapse

Actually, the tremendous reputation of the .357mag began with 158gr loadings, both lead and Remington's SJHP design.

From Jim Taylor's article The Three-Fifty-Seven Magnum's
    in My Life
    and some historical relevance;

The sectional density of the .357/158gr matches up with 10mm/200gr for a direct comparison.

Although the .357SIG/125gr combination has established an excellent reputation for one shot stops on violent felons in LEO circles; this caliber falls short of the .357mag's versatility, IMHO. :)

Bob :cowboy: