close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

357 Sig Ranger T - Effective?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by PghJim, May 1, 2010.

1. PghJim

PghJim
    Expand Collapse

I came into the ownership of five new boxes of Ranger T 125gr 357 sig ammo and have been trying to find some information if an agency or police group use it and found it to be effective, meaning they are very happy with its performance in actual shootings. There is infomation out there that both Virginia and Texas state police are very pleased with the performance of 54234 Gold Dot 357 sig ammo in shootings that have occurred, but I have been unable to find anything on the Ranger T 357 sig. The 1,340 fps velocity does not seem that fast, but may not really be an indication of the rounds effectiveness.

If you know anything, I would be greatly appreciative. - Jim

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. triggerjerk

triggerjerk
    Expand Collapse

3. ABNAK

ABNAK
    Expand Collapse

Wow, see how much the Gold Dot lost in expansion after heavy clothing? Almost .15"! Granted, the SXT lost some but not as much (and was larger in bare gelatin to begin with).

4. PghJim

PghJim
    Expand Collapse

5. N/Apower

N/Apower
    Expand Collapse

Even scarier than that is the Ranger T penetrating so shallow. Who wears 4 layers of denim? Either way, I would much rather have a little less expansion than an FBI/Miami scenario. Gold Dot has been VERY effective in this caliber in the real world.

If you just want expansion, buy 9mm 147gr HST. If you want to take full advantage of the extra velocity/penetration of the 357SIG, then get a bonded round. Otherwise it's just a waste of capacity and controllability.

#5 N/Apower, May 1, 2010
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  6. N/Apower

N/Apower
    Expand Collapse

I am unaware of any agencies that use it, I am sure they exist, but I don't personally know of any. Let us know what you find if you dig further.

7. DRT

DRT
    Expand Collapse

I believe the USSS uses it (or did at one time).

8. N/Apower

N/Apower
    Expand Collapse

No, Gold Dot, product# 53918.

9. PghJim

PghJim
    Expand Collapse

They did at one time. In fact the Ranger T was develpoded for a larger procurement by USSS. I did not know what they us now and I am a little surprised at the LP Gold Dot.

10. PghJim

PghJim
    Expand Collapse

Please do not take this as an insult, but do you know that for a fact. The reason I said that was that a family member left the SS a couple of years ago and he told me at the time they were using the Ranger T. Due to the company around, I did not talk much about it and I am trying to locate him now.

11. glocksterr

glocksterr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyGlockHippy

i may be wrong but i think i remember hearing it was used with great success in NC.

12. N/Apower

N/Apower
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

13. PghJim

PghJim
    Expand Collapse

I am not sure what you are telling me. Was this an FBI test done for the USSS? I cannot read it all, but I am not questioning whether Gold Dots are good, I have been carrying them for the past years. Not much other choice early on anyway.

Winchester spent over one million dollars developing the Ranger T 357 sig round and their first big customer was the USSS. They do not exactly start from scratch and they would have had access to all of standard FBI methodology they wanted. Gold Dot's were out then so they knew where they stood with regard to penetration and expansion with the other bullets. Winchester designed this bullet to perform the way it does on purpose and that causes me to wonder why. The only way I am going to get that question answered is to hear about the experience with a somewhat large group that had somewhat frequent street shootings.

I enlaged it and see that it was an FBI test for USSS in 2001. If I remember correctly USSS signed a contract with Winchester for 1.6 million Ranger T rounds about that time or shortly before then. They may have used the Gold Dot, but I also know they used the Ranger. Do you have anything more recent then a ten year old test. It really does not matter in this quest usless they used the round and there is a published opinion of it's effectiveness.

#13 PghJim, May 1, 2010
  14. N/Apower

N/Apower
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry for the crappy quality, but you can make out on the "Notes" section that it says "Secret Service Round". It's blurry, yes, but it is there.

15. DRT

DRT
    Expand Collapse

They probably had to change to a more humane round once obama got in office. j/k

16. N/Apower

N/Apower
    Expand Collapse

Lol, they have used the Gold Dot for years. Note the "2001" date on that report I linked that denotes the USSS round as 53918.

#16 N/Apower, May 1, 2010
  17. PghJim

PghJim
    Expand Collapse

I was editing while you were posting, see the bottom of my above post.

18. PghJim

PghJim
    Expand Collapse

When you enlarge it, the performance does not look that great. Yes there is some penetration, but very little expansion. I am not sure I would carry the round with that little expansion. Even on Bare Gel. 0.64, much smaller in everything else.

19. N/Apower

N/Apower
    Expand Collapse

E-mail Hal Price of ATK and word your e-mail intelligently and you should get an answer within 24 hours. That is the best I can do there. However, everyone I know (Dr. Roberts, Todd Green, etc.) claim the USSS is using the 53918.

20. DRT

DRT
    Expand Collapse

#20 DRT, May 2, 2010
    Last edited: May 2, 2010