close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

357 sig help please

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dirtyjoe, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dirtyjoe

dirtyjoe

Apr 14, 2010
    I have been reloading for only a few months. I started with 45 acp and I am comfortable and confident in my reloads in this caliber and have yet to have any FTF or FTE or any other problems.
    Now I am ready to try my hand at 357 sig for my G31. I am using Lee dies in a LCT. Using the info from you guys, I sized in a Lee 40 caliber carbide die first then in the Lee 357 sig die. I set my dies for my dummy rounds for case flare and bullet depth. I made 6 of these and tried to get bullet set back from thumb pressure and even placed nose of bullet on the bench and pressed as hard as I could and the bullets remained snug. All dropped in and out of the barrel smoothly and also chambered from the magazine 3 times without setback.
    My question is did I just get lucky on the bullet seating and crimp die??? I bought a 357 sig Lee FCD just as an extra safety measure and ran each dummy in it and could not tell that it was doing any work to the shell casing.
    I pulled the bullets from the 6 dummys and there were no signs of shavings or deformity. From what I have described, do you guys think I am ready to start my loads? Or am I missing something. I will be using Hornady 124 gr XTP and start with 11.7 grs of AA9 at 1.140 OAL. Your comments or suggestion are greatly appreciated. Dirtyjoe

2. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    It sounds like your die setup is perfect & that is 90% of the battle w/ the 357sig. My only suggestion, start about 12.5gr of AA#9 & workup. I prefer mag primers w/ AA#9 but YMMV.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010

3. dirtyjoe

dirtyjoe

Apr 14, 2010
    Thanks Fred. Going to try to go out tomorrow and I will post results if I have enough fingers left to type with!!!!!

4. RB98SS

RB98SS

Jun 17, 2009
    Shoreview, MN
    Not everyone that reloads 357sig uses the Lee FCD but I am convinced that it does a fine job of preventing bullet setback. A firm crimp using the collet style FCD works great. IMHO.

5. Glad you said that, I was just fixing to ask if anyone had tried mag primers in the 357 sig with #9.

6. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

May 21, 2007
    i also like my Lee dies for 357 sig. so far i've only used 124 grain XTP's

I size using one shot lube. I flair the bare minimum to seat a bullet.

soon i'll search for a cheaper option.

7. dirtyjoe

dirtyjoe

Apr 14, 2010
    All I have is CCI Small Pistol primers. Will they be o.k. until I can get the magnums?

8. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Sep 24, 2008
    East Coast
    those sig dies are not carbide correct? does anyone make carbide sig dies?

9. dirtyjoe

dirtyjoe

Apr 14, 2010
    Lee's are not carbide. I read on GT that Dillon (I think) makes carbide 357 sig dies

10. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Many use std primers w/ AA#9, but I find mags give better ignition of the larger charge of ball powder, adding 50-75fps o/ std.
    Yep, at this moment, Dillon is the only maker of carbide dies in the 357sig. I don't understand either as all that is needed is a carbide sizing ring in any steel die. Only the case body/head needs the carbide insert for sizing. That's why the 40 sizer works w/ the 357sig.