close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.357 Sig Data

Discussion in 'TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club' started by Screaming .357G, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

Oct 16, 2001
    NC
    Just thought it would be a good idea to get a sticky started on some .357 sig loading data.

I see a little info here and there on the .357 sig and thought it would be a good idea to just have a spot for it.

Maby a collection of web pages like petes or something we could make a list to help out the people wanting to start reloading the .357 sig.

Stuff like what primers,powders,brand/weight bullets etc.
    Even include some stuff on what guns they loads/barrels were tested etc.

Here is just a small example of some form of data that may be helpfull if we just put it in with a buch of other pages,ideas,etc like it.
    http://www.realguns.com/loads/357sig.htm

2. petej88

petej88 Millennium Member

Aug 26, 1999
    U.S.
  3. petej88

petej88 Millennium Member

Aug 26, 1999
    U.S.
    The domain problem of transferring my domain has been fixed. You can still use the above mentioned URL, or you can once again use www.pete-357.com

4. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
  5. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

May 29, 1999
    With G29
    Just a note: The Sig Forum is interesting; it was the home of the first .357 Sig guns.
    Enjoy.

6. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

May 29, 1999
    With G29
  7. bdc

bdc Former Member

Oct 12, 2003
    I spoke with an Alliant Tec Rep about Power Pistol:

1. He doesn't like the flash either.

2. PP is derived from the Bullseye formulae, it meters well because of its shape, but there are some ignition issues that are exagerated by slowing down the burn rate. He recommends the longest barrel practicable to get a complete burn every time (lower standard deviation numbers).

3. He uses PP in his 357Sig, so he had noted the same problems/complaints that have been expressed elseware in this thread.

8. bdc

bdc Former Member

Oct 12, 2003
    For accuracy from 80% max to max loads, power, low flash, low smoke and easy metering: I am enjoying Hodgdon Longshot increasingly in my reloads!

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  9. bdc

bdc Former Member

Oct 12, 2003
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
  10. jcmios

jcmios

May 7, 2004
    Monticello, IA
  11. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

May 21, 2001
    V I R G I N I A
    I hope you will allow me to sneak in here with an unusual reloading problem.

I've been reloading this caliber for about 4 years. For the past couple of years, I've been using 12.5 - 13.0 grains of AA#9.

I enjoy great performance for the first few dozen rounds and then failures to go into battery problems begin and get progressively worse. I have eight .357SIG handguns, some have stock barrels, some use Bar-Sto barrels, some use KKM barrels and two Federal Arms barrels and this problem occurs in them all. If I scrub the chamber with a dry bore brush, the problem goes away, but will return if I continue shooting.

I've tried many varieties of quality bullets, both plated and copper jacketed and there is no difference. I've come to the conclusion that it must be powder residue buildup...I just don't know why. I've NEVER heard of anyone else complain about this problem.

Any ideas/comments?

12. jcmios

jcmios

May 7, 2004
    Monticello, IA
    #9 may be leaving un burnt powder or excessive powder residue. Try #7 or any other pistol powder but not shotgun powder as it leaves too much residue also. You could try magnum primmers, but will possibly need to lower the charge weight.
    The Accurate Number Two manual shows 11.7grs to 13.0grs for a 124 grs Gold Dot bullet, try cutting your charge to 11.7grs and see if that helps.

Jim

13. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

May 21, 2001
    V I R G I N I A
    I was wondering if my crimp was insufficient. While it seems to hold the bullet in place and I don't see evidence of setback, I try not to be too heavy-handed with the crimp so as not to distort the case shoulder.

14. RCBS dies have a roll crimp and a 2 die set.I was using them but I just picked a Redding 3 die set with a taper crimp and I going to find out how they compare.