close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

33rnd mags for Home Defense: Liability?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Crimsontide6, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Crimsontide6

Crimsontide6
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Is there a major liability concern with using the glock 33rnd stick mags in a home defense gun? I have a G17 gen 4, and to me, it makes sense to have as many rounds with you as possible, but that the odds of bringing a spare mag with you in that sort of situation may be slim. I can see some lawyer pulling a "those are the same mags used by Jared Loughner" or something to that effect though.

2nd question: Just switched to the G17 from a G23, and grabbed some carry ammo in the store. I know you always seem to reccommend gold dots, and I wanted either those, HST or ranger T, but what they had was federal hydra shok 124grn standard pressure, or corbon 135grn flex lock. I ended up grabbing some of the hydra shok. Is that an acceptable self defense round or are there better options out there?

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob
    Expand Collapse
    KoolAidAntidote

You can expect it to be brought up if opposing counsel feels like painting you as a Rambo. A good attorney should be able to craft a defense that explains it.

Federal makes lots of good ammo for 9mm, notably the HST series. I never saw anything to tell me that Hydra-Shok was anywhere near as good in 9mm as it was in .45.

best,
    Mas

3. Crimsontide6

Crimsontide6
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll get some better stuff and dump the hydra shoks at the range.