close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.32 ACP for SD??

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ADK_40GLKr, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr
    Expand Collapse
    1. Christian Studies

Does anyone besides "Kinsey Milhone"* carry a .32 for SD?

The restoration on my 1890's vintage Forehand and Wadsworth British Bulldog is almost complete, and my gunsmith has assured me I'll be able to use .32 ACP in it for occasional shooting.

Probably not quite as powerful as a .380, but better than a .22LR, IMHO.

Anyone out there admit to carrying .32's?

(Kinsey Milhone is the fictional private investigator from a fictional beach town in California, who is featured in Sue Grafton's alphabet mysteries.)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

So, you're "accessorizing" because of a fictional character in a series of books, or because of a nostalgic interest in owning a restored historical firearm?

There was a time in my younger days when I bought and occasionally carried one or another handgun chambered in .22 LR, .25 ACP or .380 ACP. Never a .32 ACP, oddly enough.

Those days are long past, though.

3. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1
    Expand Collapse

Use FMJs to maximize penetration. The .22 kills so i don't see why the .32 won't.

4. Vartarg

Vartarg
    Expand Collapse

Self defense is serious business.....carry a serious gun.

I don't EVER want to be in a gunfight, but IF I am, I hope the other guy has a gun like yours!:supergrin:

5. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith
    Expand Collapse

ADK,

I have this neat Webley .38 revolver. 3 inch barrel, top break, .38 S&W, six shooter to!

[​IMG]

Now it was made in the '50s and no doubt someone carried it for self defense (many cops and soldiers did just that.) They even made the same gun in .32.

But these are enlightened times.

Sure a .32 or .38 S&W will kill. And it will scare someone just about as much as any handgun. And now and then they will stop someone with one shot. But it is well known they don't immediately stop very often and you give your opponent a chance to pay you back for your efforts.

My wife has been a ER nurse, OR nurse, CV-ICU nurse, head of CV-ICU, director of cardiovascular nursing, and other such duties. She has seen many a gun shot wound in the ER. She told me that the ONLY ones that were consistently carried in on a stretcher were shotgun wounds. She said in general the bigger the gun used the more likely they were carried in and not walked in. .22s, .32s, and the like had a fair amount walk right in and complain they had been shot.

Now I know 'James Bond' packed a .32, and all kinds of detective novels have them carrying some little gun. But that is fiction.

Yes they make good backup guns or hideout guns but I do suggest if you carry a gun for serious purposes then carry a serious gun.

And if you do decide to pack a .32 then become a fast and very accurate shot so as to overcome the lack of power of your chosen weapon.

Because ADK you can evade reality, but you cannot evade the consequences of evading reality (to paraphrase Aya Rand.)

Deaf

#5 Deaf Smith, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  6. janice6

janice6
    Expand Collapse

Before the Rhino .357 Magnums, my wife carried a Inox Tomcat. She needed the tip up barrel because she couldn't rack the slide on other guns. Sometimes she used to carry the .38 spl J frame.

7. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr
    Expand Collapse
    1. Christian Studies

I'm not sure I like the term "accessorizing" but my interest is more in the nostalgic element and family history aspect. The story goes that my grandfather bought the "Saturday Night Special" in 1899 when he went to Florida to accompany his father-in-law's casket back north on the train. Apparently there was a lot of "body snatching" going on in those days to supply medical schools.

Now all I need is a "Gucci" holster to carry it in, and I'll be good to go!:tongueout:

8. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE
    Expand Collapse
    Leonum A Ignis

Based on the family history of that gun alone it is something I would just put in the safe, fire on special occasions, but would not carry.

Probably not a first choice for something to defend myself with nor is it something I would want to risk losing to the police evidence locker in the event I do.

It's a great family heirloom, not a great carry gun. Just my opinion.

#8 H&K 4 LIFE, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  9. Donn57

Donn57
    Expand Collapse
    Just me

I suppose the .32 ACP can be a carry option for some, but no longer for me. I sold my Kel-Tec P-32 after I had an unpleasant encounter while carrying it as my primary. I realized that I had no confidence in it being able to stop the individual I was facing.

Clint Smith says that your carry gun should be comforting. On that day, my .32 ACP was not, so no more mouse guns for me. YMMV.

10. cce1302

cce1302
    Expand Collapse

I occasionally carry a .32

11. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy
    Expand Collapse

I have my .32 Kel-Tec in my pocket holster right now.
    I usually carry it in warm/hot weather.

NO, my little .32ACP will not thrust an attacked back against the wall when hit by this little bullet, but the same could also be said if I were to use my .40cal.A .32 in my pocket is far better than my .40cal (at home in the safe):supergrin:

TV and movies have created a false image of how a person/body reacts when hit with a bullet of any caliber.

As a civilian, my only objective when faced with a lethal threat is to stop the threat. This could be accomplished by leaving if I could so so safely.

If leaving (backing off or running) is not an option, the only option left in stopping the threat is to use or threaten to use your own lethal force.

Nobody, good guy or bad guy wants to be shot even once with a .32, let alone 10 times and the first (well placed) shot is the best shot.

My best friend was killed (murdered) with ONE .32ACP bullet, so don't try to tell me that is isn't and effective bullet.

12. Donn57

Donn57
    Expand Collapse
    Just me

Was your friend hopped on dope trying to rob someone? Was he in a blind rage trying to kill the person who shot him? I suspect not.

The question isn't really whether or not someone can be killed with a .32 ACP. Certainly they can. The question is will it stop someone quickly enough to prevent him from doing the victim harm?

But, hey, if you're confident in the effectiveness of the .32 ACP and are willing to bet your life on it, who am I to question your decision? You based your decision on your experience and I based mine on my experience and we came to two different decisions. That's the way life works.

#12 Donn57, Jul 15, 2011
  13. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

I used the term rather tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it too seriously. ;)

I can see the family history aspect, but bear in mind there's likely a reason the smaller caliber personal defense revolvers eventually evolved upwards to reach the .38 S&W Special. Nostalgia probably ought to go only so far when it comes to someone using equipment to save their life (or the lives of their loved ones).

Nice family heirloom, though.

14. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

For a long time a .32 was considered perfectly fine for CCW. It was never the best choice but it worked for most situations. Nothing has changed since that time. Are you as well armed as you could be...no. Are you armed well enough to take care of most CCW events....yes.

15. Burncycle

Burncycle
    Expand Collapse

If it's what you have, and if it means the difference between carrying something and leaving it at home, then absolutely carry it. Use FMJ and avoid the hollow point stuff so that you can at least get adequate penetration.

Just know it's not ideal, or even in the range for what many people consider the minimum for stopping a fight reliably. As long as you keep that in mind when you're making your decisions you can probably avoid getting into bad situations.

Taking a step back to look at a broader picture...

Obviously the sight of any gun can deter threats, even (for example) a little .22 NAA mini. They're not going to ask what caliber you're using if the little guy starts barking. In many situations just the sight of a gun can deter further aggression and save your bacon.

But what if it doesn't? In many situations that little .32 can save your life, but when possible it's wise to prepare for the worst case scenario* (within the relm of practicality) and then assume all the lesser cases are also covered. *In other words, a determined aggressor under the influence.

The .32 ACP is more than capable of killing someone, nobody is arguing that... but more importantly: How many mortally wounded bad guys have been able to continue harming and killing you and yours before they finally expire? The question is not if the caliber is lethal, it absolutely is. It's will it stop the fight fast enough to stop the bad guy from continuing to carry out his intentions before it's too late. Obviously shot placement is the number one factor, but the .32 doesn't give you much in the way of margin for error.

You shot the guy dead, but he doesn't know it yet and that didn't stop him from killing you and yours in the meantime.

By all means carry the thing... but I'd plan on upgrading when you can. Take a .38 special airweight back to 1899 and your grandfather might have been more confident carrying that ;) Get an heirloom of your own that your grandkids will talk about carrying one day!

#15 Burncycle, Jul 15, 2011
  16. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr
    Expand Collapse
    1. Christian Studies

You mean like my OTHER handgun, a 2nd gen G22, imported 2/7/1994, with "DETROIT POLICE DEPARTMENT" engraved on the slide?

17. OctoberRust

OctoberRust
    Expand Collapse
    Anti-Federalist

Exactly what this guy said.

Many don't realize, if you're ever involved in an SD shooting, and even if it's as plain as night and day, you're VERY likely to have your gun confiscated for "evidence" for a subjective amount of time. You may or may not get it back, things tend to get "lost"...

18. Burncycle

Burncycle
    Expand Collapse

Exactly :thumbsup:

19. Spiffums

Spiffums
    Expand Collapse
    I.C.P.

When your in your jockey shorts........ a Beretta in the butt beats a Glock on the Hip. Extra Points for Movie and Character who said that.

20. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy
    Expand Collapse

I guess everyone has to do their own soul searching before making certain decisions.
    I put a helmet on when I ride my motorcycle.
    I put a seat belt on when I drive my car or truck.
    I put a .32ACP, a .40cal, or a .45ACP on before I leave home, just in case of an emergency.

If I KNEW that I was definitely going to have an accident on my motorcycle, or in my car or truck, I wouldn't just add more protective clothing or gear, I'D STAY HOME!

For me the same applies for the gun I choose to carry.

Perhaps a .32 cal isn't enough in some situations, but I think the same could also be said for a .45ACP.

When I see a cop (in real life or on TV) get out of their patrol car and then unholster their handgun I'm thinking to myself "why doesn't he or his partner have the shotgun"?

IMO, if you ever need a gun, you're never gonna have too much gun, but we can't walk around all day with a shotgun in our hands, and for some it's also not practical to lug a .45ACP around when in reality the chances of a civilian is darn near "0".

I carry a G-27 or a Kimber when the weather is cooler and the Kel-Tec .32 when it's hot. I hope that I never need either of them regarless of the weather.

#20 HarleyGuy, Jul 15, 2011