30S versus 36

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by tnstaafl, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Mas,

I read your response to the guy asking about the 30S versus the 30SF - http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499954&highlight=glock+36, and I read your review in Guns - you mentioned that you'd pick the 30S over the 36, based on that person's scenario.

I have a Glock 36 that I use for CC, and I'm trying to evaluate the differences versus the Glock 30S - aside from the critical factor of how they each feel in my big hands, with the 30S, I'd get 4 more rounds, a bit thicker slide, and a bit more than three ounces more weight - PLUS the weight of the 4 extra rounds - am I missing any other key criteria?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote

You won't get a thicker slide: 30S and 36 seem to be the same in that dimension.

I've found over the years more malfunctions with the 36 than with any other Glock, particularly in the early years of production. Many 36 pistols have run perfectly, however, and I have a sense that Glock has "gotten the bugs out." The 36 does give a more advantageous reach to the trigger, something many of its fans don't seem to mention. The 30S will work with 13-round G21 magazines, which also reload more efficiently.

Those would be the objective differences.

Subjective? For me, personally, I shoot the 30-series better. Just fits my hand better. Much as I like the shorter trigger reach of the 36, it seems to "leave an empty hollow in my palm." I'm actually partial to the 30 and 30SF, because the heavier slides seem to tighten accuracy up, and that's more important to me than to some folks. The 30 and 30SF also seem to have a bit less recoil and muzzle rise. As I said, subjective.

Hoping this is responsive to your question,
    Mas

3. Thanks Mas - looks like I need to "try on" a 30 and a 30S - and balance that against the lesser loaded weight of my 36 - much appreciated.