Setting up my last scout camera
clearing trails
sorting my ammo
handloading a few more rounds
Sorting and touching up a few broadheads

I hope to have a blast this season :wavey:

#2 · (Edited)
I got my knee replaced.

I hope to do some real hunting this fall. It has been several years since I could go where I wanted, and for how long I wanted, without the pain restricting me.

While I have been doing great hunting close to home I have missed seeing and exploring new areas.

I need to do some work on my cabin (after the weather cools down). Being able to hunt that area will open up many more possibilities. The cabin is 2 hours from home.

I did a little pre-season scouting (I looked out the bedroom window) and saw 10 deer in the front yard by the old apple tree. One looked like a nice 4x4 in velvet.

Keep growing little buck.

#3 ·
I got my knee replaced.

I hope to do some real hunting this fall. It has been several years since I could go where I wanted, and for how long I wanted, without the pain restricting me.

While I have been doing great hunting close to home I have missed seeing and exploring new areas.

I need to do some work on my cabin (after the weather cools down). Being able to hunt that area will open up many more possibilities. The cabin is 2 hours from home.

I did a little pre-season scouting (I looked out the bedroom window) and saw 10 deer in the front yard by the old apple tree. One looked like a nice 4x4 in velvet.

Keep growing little buck.

Man sorry bout the knee and I understand...

Looks like to me you can shoot those deer with out living the house. Same situation here pretty much on the ranch. There are times we see everything from large cats to turkey and nice deer, off the front porch in the late evening..

Hope ya get that knee back in shape pard. Good hunting to ya. Where there is a will, there is a way ! ;)

Get well
Good hunting !

CM

#4 ·
I'm rounding up my last few goodies
Setting up my last scout camera
clearing trails
sorting my ammo
handloading a few more rounds
Sorting and touching up a few broadheads

I hope to have a blast this season :wavey:

Hey my friend, you alwys have a blast man, even when it has been a "bust." Just getting out there is a blast.... But it helps to bring home the deer ! ;)

Keep your powder dry, your hog legs clean, and your broadheads sharp !

You WILL DO WELL ! I got confidence in ya amigo !

Stay safe. Drop me a line or give me a call when ya can.

CM

#6 ·
Bustedknee, sorry to hear about your medical issue. You should let me come up and take a deer in your backyard :wavey:

I hope you get out and get something.

Which part of FL are you hunting? How is your deer population this year?

I was stationed in Panama City, FL in the 1970's and I found great deer hunting around there.
It didn't take me long to figure out the local techniques.

Early in the morning the locals would load up the truck with friends, dogs and beer and they would run deer until the beer was gone and the dogs were scattered (or too tired to run). By mid-evening they went home and the deer became active.

So, after work (a couple of hours before dark) I would head out to one of the local WMAs (Wildlife Management Area) and
experienced my first really good year of deer hunting.

Taking a single deer (or two) had always been a good year when I grew up in VA but that first year in the FL panhandle, I collected 5 deer? Two in one day (I had never dreamed of so many deer!).

I spent 35 years in Alaska and during that period the density of deer in VA, as well as many other states, improved drastically.
Some years ago I had a friend in the Orlando area that invited me to visit him so we could check out a WMA in his area. We did not see a single deer! There was more hog sign than deer sign!
As I drove down to FL from VA I had noticed large numbers of car-killed deer from VA through GA but the further south I drove in FL the less deer I saw.

I invited him to hunt on my place but that was an extremely long drive for my friend. But as it turned out, he knew a guy that hunted in a club in south GA, so he checked out that area and it was over-run with deer, compared with mid FL.

So I'm wondering about your area. Has the deer population improved over the years like they have in most places?

It seems every patch of woods around has deer in it. Even the public hunting areas are full of deer. Of course they hold a lot more does than bucks but there are several doe days in each season and does are always legal on private land.
Farmers around here can get Ag permits to shoot deer and leave them lay.
It really hurts me to see that, as much as I respect and love deer.

Maybe guys from other states will give us a report on their area.

Note about the deer in my yard: You know how in most marriages there is "our" money and "her" money?
Well, in my marriage there is "his" deer and "her" deer. :animlol:
"Her" deer are in the yard and "his" deer are everywhere else.
So I have a box blind up on the mountain behind the house where the trails come down the ridge.

#7 · (Edited)
I hunt the far westerns portions of PalmBch county or the units stack along the western or eastern side of the Kissimee River from Avon Park down to Basinger.

I have cams up, but so far I've having a few cam issues. One cam had a branch blowin in front of the door, so I have about 100+ photos of a branch.

The other one, my flash card fail. So I hope my 3rd camera which has been out for 2+ months in a very hard to get area, has some thing on it. I will find out next week, depending on what Isaac did and how much rain fell.

Spot and checks over the last 2 months, show a lot of turkies and a few deer , nothing spectacular, but this is SEFA.

And on deer management, the numbers have been down. Down in all areas, number of harvest, number of hunters, size, antlers,.......

It pretty much sucks.

#8 ·
The hunting season is just over 35days old and it's too wet. here's some pictures of beautiful parts of Florida and where I hunt

grass fields

boot in water

game cam that's caught only cows

bi-yearly crop of tree nuts

my friends who are glad to see me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.