close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by TheBigCroaker, Jun 27, 2012.

1. TheBigCroaker

TheBigCroaker

Oct 15, 2010
    Mas:
    I respect your wisdom, knowledge and no-nonsense factual responses to questions.
    Now that I've buttered you up; here's my question.
    I'm looking to buy a .308 as a back-up CC gun, for ankle or pocket carry. (My primary CC is a G-27 carried OWB SOB or OWB 4-5 o'clock.)
    Can you, from personal experience or reliable research, recommend a couple of brands/models of .308s.
    My considerations, in order of priority, are: reliability; cost; customer service; and magazine size.
    Also, can you recommend a good self-defense round for the .308?
    Thanks for your time.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    First off, folks, David flagged me separately that ".308" was a typo and he meant .380.

David, I'm no fan of the .380 but it's certainly better than nothing. It'd be tough to beat a Ruger LCP. I'd probably go with something like a Hornady 90 grain XTP for a balance of penetration with some hope of expansion. LAPD has reportedly gone with the same company 's Critical Defense load in the .380s they've made optional for off-duty and backup, and we'll see if they work on the street any better than previous, unimpressive .380 ammo.

best,
    Mas