close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.308 Win workup

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by lomfs24, Oct 2, 2009.

1. LiberalHater

LiberalHater V.R.W.C.

May 16, 2001
    Kansas City,Missouri,USA
    Surprised that nobody mentioned Winchester 748. I use a 168 Sierra BTHP on top of 45.9 grains seated to an OAL of 2.800" with Federal match brass and a Federal primer. Choronographs identical to the Federal Gold Medal match load.

I know that others have had issues with Federal brass, but i have a never ending supply of match brass from the sniper team at the PD where I work and the brass has always treated me well. In my Remington 700, they shoot better than 1/2 MOA.

Most of the powders listed above by the others are harder to get in my neck of the woods in Kansas City, MO. Hodgdon and Winchester are easy.

Lib

2. Beege

Beege

Feb 14, 2002
    Southern Maine
    46 gr. Varget
    150 gr. Nosler Partition
    2680-2700fps
    Winchester brass
    Federal Large rifle primers

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009

3. Openroadracer

Openroadracer

Dec 19, 2007
    Corona, CA
    168 SMK or Nosler CC
    45.0 Varget
    2.810 in BHA cases
    210M

11 shots into 3.325" at 400 yards, 10 shots into 3"x8" at 780 yards in my 10FP

This one also shoots nice.

168gr Amax
    42.5 Varget
    2.830 in BHA or Remington cases
    210M/210 or CCI primers

4. mattellis2

mattellis2

Sep 8, 2005
    ga
    what don't you guys like about FC brass? in my experience it stretches a little more than other brass, but i have had decent results from it.

5. BHP9

BHP9

Nov 21, 2008
    God's Country.
    I've had the primer pockets open up on the second reload.

I just pitch them now and use Norma.

6. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    If you section a Federal rifle case you will find that the case walls are fairly thick but the case head, around the primer, is about half the minimum required thickness of US GI brass and much thinner than other commercial cases. This is why the primer pocket gets so loose. It's not just "soft brass" but the case is very thin in that area. The case web isn't as strong as other brands. The one part of the case that likely extends outside of the barrel is also the part that is thinner than other brands.

7. mattellis2

mattellis2

Sep 8, 2005
    ga
    pardon my ignorance, but what happens with "loose" primer pockets? according to hornady reloading manual (7th edition) the primer is pushed partially out of the pocket and then reseated during the course of a normal shot sequence.

i recently processed and primed about 100 cases, and noted that some of the primers were easier to push in than with my autoprime than others...maybe 3 out of the total lot. they weren't/aren't loose enough to fall out or even be slung out by shaking the case. anything to worry about?

-matt

8. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Loose pocket can lead to expanding gas leaking around the primer... best to keep hot expanding gasses going away from your face.

9. in my R700 i was shooting 42.5gr of RL15 with CCI primers in Nosler brass at 2.80" using a Hornady 168HPBT match bullet.

in my M14 Scout i shoot 42gr of RL15 in military brass with tthe same bullets and primers.

10. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    OK, thanks for all the help guys. Here's what I finally ended up with that seems to work great.

44.0 gr of Ramshot TAC under
    168 gr Berger VLD match bullet.
    CCI or Winchester primers.

I now working with Nosler 168 CC bullets. I will see how they shoot.

As far as primers go, the way things are working in New Mexico now, I have to shoot whatever I can get in a large rifle primer. Sometimes I can get CCI, sometimes Winchester.