close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.308 NATO And the grizzly bear

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by WolfmanGK, May 12, 2002.

1. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

Oct 7, 2000
    Northern Dakota
    Yes, I know, a .308 is insufficient. However, what about a semiauto, like the French MAS? If the first shot didn't drop him, you could give him a few more till he does drop. What are people's thoughts on this?

2. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

May 8, 2001
    MN
    Sounds good to me. But then again I hope to someday go after one with my 20.;g

3. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    NV
    .308 NATO means FMJ, and that's not really desireable compared to all the great hunting bullets out there. A heavy expanding bullet will do th ejob just fine if you do your job decently.

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    When I lived in Alaska, many folks I knew who wandered the bush selected a full-size or Tanker Garand in .30-06, filled with surplus AP ammo. I don't believe they were legal for hunting, but either one had great penetration for defensive shots on large carnivores. The .308 would do just as well, probably, IF a person could handle it quickly and skillfully in a VERY stressful situation.

As usual, the person is potentially the weakest point in the loop.

5. Mark 19

Mark 19 Whois John Galt Millennium Member CLM

Dec 25, 1998
    Arlington, VA
    I've heard 2nd hand stories of elephant poachers using .308 semiautos, because they were available as surplus, and ammo is cheap compared to the big bores. Can anyone confirm?

6. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

Oct 7, 2000
    Northern Dakota

Very true, however, I stress the point that the rifle is an automatic, and you will have the opportunity if needed for a second shot drop.

7. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    Don't count on having the time or chance for a second shot -- make the first one COUNT. Bear encounters are often sudden and very unexpected; both you and the bear are startled as you pop around a turn in the trail, etc. A griz (as I have been told MANY times) can out-sprint a racehorse; if he's close, one shot may well be all you get.

Most guys who got chewed-up by bears in Alaska when I was there each shared a similar problem; no matter what gun they were carrying, they had it slung over their back or pack (instead of in their hands, ready-to-use). Some of them were even carrying chamber-empty! How fast and sure can you work your bolt-gun when old fish-breath is "bear"ing down on you?

Many of the hunting guides use a sabot-loaded slug shotgun (pump, for reliability) with extended mag; very fast and controllable, and most bird hunters can use it almost instinctively (point and shoot). Others use a .338 WM, .375 H&H, .416 Rem, or other BIG rifles; very hard to shoot these well, and ammo is VERY expensive.

Practice with whatever you choose is probably more important then WHAT you choose.

8. shrpshtr

shrpshtr

Jan 25, 2001
    Sumter, SC, USA
    .308 would be fine, 30.06, or .270 would be as well in a hunting situation. shot placement is obviously critical. in a self-defense situation, there is very little you can do with a long gun. imo, the best thing you can do is carry a .44mag or bigger with really hot loads.

or you could be an idiot like me...i am going to use my Hoyt Fast Flight bow w/125gr broad heads from the ground.

9. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    With excellent shot placement, an Indian lady in Alaska took done a Grizzly with a .22 rifle.

But you're better off with 7mm Rem Mag or 45/70 or the like.

Better overpowdered than under!

10. BWR55

BWR55 Re-member

Mar 28, 2002
    Rochester Hills, Michigan
    Which cartridge exactly is the .308 Nato? Is it the 7.62X39, the
    7.62X51, the 7.62X54 or the 30-06? Just wander. Not looking to get flamed just ignorance on my part.

11. Dadburn

Dadburn Millennium Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Piedmont,North Carolina
    308 is the 7.62x51,7.62 x 39 is an AK round

12. BWR55

BWR55 Re-member

Mar 28, 2002
    Rochester Hills, Michigan
    Thanks for your reply Dadburn. I thought that was probably it but just didn't know. That is the American .308 Winchester round then. commonly (or not so common)known for it's military use in the M14. Which I hear a lot of the Navy boys want to phase out. They are (I believe) the only branch of service still using them.