close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

.308 Cannalure ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by EL_NinO619, Nov 11, 2010.

1. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    Just bought some Hornady .308 SST 165gr. They have a cannalure do i have to crimp if they due. I have been reading conflicting info..Has any one had any success with these rounds. I'm going to use TAC and Reloader 15. Thanks

P.S. Getting ready for a desert trip this Saturday...:supergrin:

2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    You don't have to crimp into the cannelure. In fact, some argue that it hurts accuracy. What are you shooting it out of?

3. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    If used on a bolt action, it's not needed. However, if you like to slam the bolt around (not a great idea), then put the crimp. If on a semi auto, use the crimp. It helps prevent setback as the round strips from the mag, hits the feed ramp and enters the chamber. A bolt action tends to have a smoother, gentler process,

4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I don't crimp for my bolt guns... like dudel said, good idea for a semi auto.

5. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    Well the cannalure is set high on the bullets, so i seated them just above the mouth. I should be OK. I knew you did not have to crimp from prior post, but after reading stuff on the World Wide Web. You can tend to get confused. But i knew i would get a straight answer here. Thanks

6. albyihat

albyihat

Aug 3, 2007
    SW Montana
    I use hornady SST's and use no crimp at all just neck tension. You are good to go with no crimp