.308 Bolt Action

Discussion in 'GATE Long-Range Shooting' started by g34fan, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Zak,

I have decided my next purchase will be a .308 bolt action rifle. I have narrowed my choices to what I think is 3 rifles (unless you have other suggestions)

In order:
    Savage Arms 10 FCP-K
    Tikka T3 TAC
    Remington 700 SPS

All have 24" barrels

I would also be interested in you opinion on a good place to start looking in terms of scopes.

Thank you.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    So what's the best bolt action for the money ?? General Firearms Forum Aug 8, 2015
    New Bolt Action Rifle General Firearms Forum Mar 2, 2015
    WTS, Savage Model 19 NRA 22LR Bolt Action Rifle (NC) Firearms Listings Feb 22, 2015
    Savage Model 11 .308 bolt-action rifle General Firearms Forum Dec 28, 2014
    Suppressed .308 Bolt Action General Firearms Forum Dec 23, 2014

3. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner
    Millennium Member

Hi,

I have written a half dozen articles on scopes, how to choose scopes, and what makes a good long-range scope. Links to them are in the tacked thread in this forum, or on my web site.

With regard to the rifle choices, they should all perform well. The Remington is the most common. The Savage has a great reputation for out of box accuracy, and the Tikka has the "European quality" reputation. The T3 has a long action (shorter cartridges use a bolt stop), so its action will be longer than the other two, though in theory you could convert it to any long action cartridge later.

One aspect to consider is what you need to do to the gun, right off the shelf, to get it to fix you properly. The FCP-K stock is a conventional hunting stock and is not adjustable. It will almost certainly not fit anyone right with a scope mounted, and would need to be replaced.

The SPS is in the same boat.

The Tikka has a raised cheek piece which can fix issues for most people.

If it were me, I would get the Savage and put it in a McMillan or Manner stock; or get the Remington and drop it in an AICS. The latter choice requires no gunsmithing/bedding and would be the easiest modification.