300 magnum range report

Discussion in 'GATE Long-Range Shooting' started by olympicmotors, Aug 6, 2011.

1. I have posted a few questions before about my Ruger Hawkeye 300 magnum.
    I was at first disappointed with my group size but took your advice of not detail cleaning the bore after every range trip and my groups have settled in to about 1 inch at 100 yards. I am using Hornady ammo and am very pleased with my rifle now.

My new son-in-law and I went to the range today. 100 plus degrees in Arkansas, and put about 24 rounds through it in about 45 minutes. We were not purposely waiting for a cool off period between rounds and the barrel got very hot but the groups stayed very consistent , my last 3 shot group was my best of the day at right at 1 inch.

I am very suprised that a lightweight hunting rifle with a stock barrel will stay this accurate in these conditions.

I guess my question is : Am I hurting my barrel by not letting it cool off some? How hot is too hot? I probably will not repeat a session like this again (pretty hard on the shoulder too).

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Magnum research 1911 range report 1911 Forums Mar 19, 2015
    Finally Got My S&W 500 Magnum To The Range General Firearms Forum Mar 6, 2012
    WTB: Winchester Model 94 Ranger Compact in .357 Magnum (FTF - OH) Wanted To Buy Jun 2, 2009
    Remington 870 Magnum with Surefire Forend Firearms Listings Sunday at 2:29 PM
    PP300MP 357 and 44 magnum chronograph results Reloading Aug 25, 2015

3. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner
    Millennium Member

Every time you pull the trigger you hurt the barrel. Some people say that if you shoot it when it's very very hot already, you do a little more damage than normal. If you can touch the barrel for more than 5 seconds with your hand, it's fine.

4. Thanks Zak, one more thing of interest ( at least to me ) I have been shooting 180 grain ammo, but the last few rounds I switched to 150 grain Hornady. I got an excellent group ( as I said about 1 inch) but the group was at least 3 inches above all my other groups with 180 grain ammo.

I am suprised how much difference 30 grains made to the bullet drop. I suppose 150 grain would be the hot ticket for ultra-long-range shooting.

#3 olympicmotors, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  5. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner
    Millennium Member

If it was at close range, it's not the bullet drop, it's just a different zero because of different ammo.