Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

300 Blackout Help - Barrels

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by rainman33, Nov 27, 2012.

1. rainman33

Aug 17, 2009
    So, I'm really interested in putting together a rifle in this cartridge but need some help with parts - barrels to be more specific. I want to go 16", as it seems ideal for this cartridge. I won't suppress it, so I don't need to shoot subsonic ammo. I noticed AAC is going to a 1:7 twist, but I was looking at barrels from Black Hole Weaponry, and they use a 1:8.5 or 1:11. I know the 1:7 is to stabilize 220 gr. at subsonic speeds, but as I said I won't be shooting those. So, would the 1:8.5 twist work fine, or even the 1:11? BTW, I want to stick with a carbine gas system to be sure cycling is not a problem. So 300 Blackout experts, give me you thoughts.
  2. mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    When I decided to get a 300 BLK I spend a few days emailing Delta Company Arms. Aaron is a great guy from the 82nd and was wounded while doing his job. He knows his stuff and produces great barrels.

I just tried to go to their site and it redirected me to godaddy. You may still be able to get him through silencer talk or He had medical issues so I hope he is alright.

He recommended 1:8 for a general purpose rifle. I went 16" LW 1:8 carbine gas. The thing was smooth, well balanced, and of great quality.

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    From what I have been told (by someone with way more .300 experience than I), 1/8 twist will run 220 grain subsonic no problem. The 1/7 comes in for people running bullets over 220 grains, such as cast lead pills in the 240-250gr range.

Personally, I would stick with the 1/8 twist, and not go slower.
  4. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    I have a CMMG upper 16" carbine. It has 1:8" twist and it has run everything I've put through it! Subs/Supers zero problems. I run mostly cast through it 150's and 170gr. The 220 gr Rem subs are very accurate at SD/HD ranges- why I bought them! Even super 180gr loads at 1750 fps are very accurate.:supergrin:
  5. majette

May 1, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    unless you HAVE to build it go with the cmmg upper or for a little more rail real estate the aac upper.