Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

30 days until commissioning

Discussion in 'US Navy Forum' started by et2mdo, Jul 15, 2006.

1. et2mdo

et2mdo I'm Batman!

Dec 29, 2005
    You are (un)officially invited to attend the commissioning ceremony of Mr. et2mdo on 14 AUG 2006 at 1000.

Mr. et2mdo is a prior enlisted nuke ET2, and is soon to finish a B.A. in Chemistry. After being commissioned as an Ensign in the United States Navy, Mr. et2mdo will be stationed on the USS OSCAR AUSTIN (DDG-79) in Norfolk, VA.

KIDCOP Rifle Master Millennium Member

Congrats. I wish I could shake your hand and give you a salute, but thats a long ways to travel.

3. Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo Baggins

Sep 16, 2002
    A hearty Congrats, most of the LDO's or prior enlisted officers I delt with in my time were good leaders. guess being on both sides gives you a bit of perspective.
  4. DennisH

DennisH FFG-60

Mar 24, 2003
    A "B.A." in Chemistry? Mine was a "B.S." (probably meant it was Bull *****)! At any rate, congrats on your pending commission. When I was a ship CO I placed a special premium on Mustang officers. Carry on that tradition, and above all, just take care of the troops, especially the deck force. And be a squeaky wheel with the CO to get all the shiphandling time you can, because if you don't, all the Academy Ring-Knockers will be there in your place. And while some of my friends were Ring-Knockers, I always had the greatest respect for those of you who came up through the ranks.
    Sail Safe!
  5. Tacnaidayu

Jun 17, 2006
    Ditto on the B.A. in Chemistry. Will be station? Also, names of ships are written in CAPS like in USS OSCAR AUSTIN (DDG 79).
  6. don51181

Jun 18, 2004
    Bremerton, WA
    Congrats. So you did the STA 21 program?
  7. et2mdo

et2mdo I'm Batman!

Dec 29, 2005
    B.A. is correct. A B.S. at my university requires a few more math classes and a physical inorganic chemistry course and lab. I chose B.A. because it allowed me to get my degree one semester faster.

I am now only a little over 2 weeks out. I have to say that I am getting pretty anxious. I'm definitely looking forward to putting the chemistry books out of sight for a while (especially organic chemistry). Right now, it's looking like I will be the ship's electrical officer and legal officer.

DennisH- Thanks for the advice.

don51181- Yes, I am about to finish the STA 21 program (which, by the way, is by far the best deal in the Navy).
  8. Navy87Guy

Navy87Guy Salty Dog

Dec 4, 2004
    Stafford VA
    Congrats -- STA 21 is a great program.

OSCAR AUSTIN is in the yards right now...but don't let that get you down. Hit the deck plates running and you'll do fine. Your CO is a great guy -- you're going to enjoy it.

Another piece of admin advice: ship's numbers don't have a "dash" in them. It's DDG 79, not DDG-79. Some of us are anal about it!

Have fun!

9. Boats2006

May 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Congratulations on your graduation. DennisH and Navy87Guy have some super advice - nothing I can add tops it. Good Luck.
  10. FlyNavy

Sep 24, 2000
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Congrats on surviving the intentionally painful and tedious sta21 program. You've proven that you wanted those bars.

Enjoy the Oscar Austin...the first boat with an "up the butt with a twist" helo landing approach. Good times at night!