Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

.30-06 vs 7.62x54r

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by bwh21, May 12, 2010.

1. bwh21

May 9, 2010
    I heard that the .30-06 is the most comparable round to the one for the Mosin Nagant. Is this true? Which one is more "powerful" in any sense of the word?
  2. .45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    So long as they're fired through comparable length barrels there's not enough difference to warrant a discussion.

3. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    it's single digit per centage difference, with the edge very slightly going to the .30-06 with 180 grain bullets in equal length barrels vs 7.62x54R heavy ball, but for all practical purposes in field conditions they might as well be the same gun. A couple inches of barrel will matter more than intrinsic cartridge specs.
  4. If you go with Winchester ammo

180 gr 7.62x54R is rated at 2,625 fps

180 gr .30-06 is rated at 2,700 fps

As Mitch says difference in barrel length is probably going to matter more. Heck even variation from lot to lot of ammo could be 50 FPS or more. Careful hand loading could probably increase velocity on both as well.

.30-06 has the advantage of being available in the Hornady Light Magnum line which ups the velocity a bit more.
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. G20gunner

Mar 7, 2010
    I've shot both extensively and I find no real difference. For hunting, a game animal wouldn't notice the difference either. The 7.62x54R has long been called the Russian 30-06, and I agree. The cases look completely different, but case capacity and bullet weight are close enough that it's a toss up as far as performance. I'm talking standard loads. The 30-06 in a modern rifle could probably be pushed to higher velocities (with a shorter barrel) than the 54R could be in the Mosin Nagant. This is given the fact that the 06 works at higher pressures than the 54R. But if you put both cartridges in modern rifles, there would be very little (if any) difference.

6. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

The .30-'06 is closer in performance to the 8mm Mauser, although the Mauser will beat and exceed the ballistics of the .30-06 with all bullet weights and is superior ballistically.