3 officers shot, gunman killed at N.J. police HQ

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by TBO, Dec 28, 2012.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

2. Loading...

3. Whisky Tango Foxtrot, over.

Glad the good guys won and Godspeed to the wounded officers.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. WT

WT
    Millennium Member

The shooter was a Corrections Officer. He was being processed by a female officer. When he was uncuffed he attacked and disarmed her. The other officers were in a nearby room and came to her aid.

Sad story.

5. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

they process prisoners in a jail setting with their side arms on and by themselves?

6. WT

WT
    Millennium Member

Correction: the shooter was a civilian communications officer with the NJDOC.

(I do not know NJ procedures for processing 'guests' at the stationhouse.)

#5 WT, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  7. Somewhere in the Garden State, a utopian fool holding political office is probably railing to make police stations a gun-free zone.

8. Morris

CLM

I'd laugh if it wasn't true . . .

9. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Somebody got a little sloppy? :dunno:

All in all, outcome was acceptable.

10. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

11. No retention holster?

I too am amazed that they apparently allowed weapons inside the booking area. Would love to have some more info on this.

12. If police were unarmed, this could have been avoided. :whistling:

Yikes. Glad the guy got what he deserved. Kinda strange she was armed during the book in process?

13. Morris

CLM

Not entirely clear. For example, our lock boxes share the same common space as the bathroom and the interview room. Small space, too. So, if you are securing your firearms in the lockboxes, you should be locking the suspect in the interview room for a couple of minutes. After one in custody tried a gun grab on me (after I had locked up my handguns - and in behind the back handcuffs), I made sure suspects/arrestees stayed in the interview room.

14. A liberal friend of mine posted this story to show that more guns is not the answer. When I pointed out the fact that it was a gun that stopped the guy he said a taser could have been used instead.

#13 xmanhockey7, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  15. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Yeah, lock boxes/weapons lockers were OUTSIDE the booking area. No guns in Booking.
    Left once or twice in a hurry on a hot call and almost left the jail with a Folger Adams key snapped into my holster instead of my Glock!!! I said "almost".

16. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

toss the keys to your cruiser in with your gun, you cant leave without.

17. We have lockboxes in the salleyport at the entrance door to the cellblock/processing area and also at the entrance from the report writing room to the cellblock. Policy is to secure your firearm before removing the prisoner from the car to bring them inside or or at the other one before entering the cellblock to help with processing.

There are signs posted at each door " No firearms, ammunition, OC spray, knives or batons allowed in cellblock". Most supervisors will give some leeway with OC. Guys have been written up for being forgetful about this.

18. Exactly

I would always lock my car keys in the lockbox with my gun and put the box key on my belt.

19. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Sounds like some sloppy procedural work. It is curious that the officer he took the gun from only got shot in the foot. I am guessing in the actual process of the gun grab?

20. We don't process our prisoners in our offices, only the jail. But we put them into interview rooms. I always shackle them to the floor first, then remove the handcuffs, while bladed away.

21. This should not have happened.