close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

3" Magnum shell question

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by GenoTac Ind., Nov 27, 2010.

1. GenoTac Ind.

GenoTac Ind.
    Expand Collapse
    |KYDEX GEAR>

Probably a good question for aippi to answer...

870 express, "M" at the end of serial number, 2 3/4 -3 " marking on barrel.

Safe to shoot 3" magnum loads?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

Cool bean, this is like when the teacher calls on you for an oral pop test and it was the only answer you knew.

Yes, for pre 2009 models M designates Magnum and all Express Models are magnum receivers and there has never been an Express built on less then a 3" receiver. Remington has since changed the serial number coding and new Remington Shotguns start with RS for, you guessed it, Remington Shotgun. The letter ending the serial number is just a series and they started with A and are now on B. But all Remington Shotguns are 3" now except of course the Super Magnums which are 3.5".

3. Justjmfk

Justjmfk
    Expand Collapse

so are you saying all new remington shotguns will shoot magnum buck shot loads ? thanks

4. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

All new 870's shoots 3" and the 870 super magnum 3.5"

5. Justjmfk

Justjmfk
    Expand Collapse

I under stand that super mag is 3.5. i got that . what is throwing me off is i got a box of 3" magnum buck shot. My new 870 just says 870 on the receiver, where my older one says 870 expressmagnum. i want to shoot buckshot out of my new one. thanks.

6. Grego07

Grego07
    Expand Collapse

I just recently purchased a brand new 870, my serial# starts with AB and ends with M. Is this an older 870?

7. mlyon55

mlyon55
    Expand Collapse

Look at the barrel, it will tell you what it can chamber. It is stamped not to far from the reciever. If it says 2 3/4 to 3" like most 870's other than the Wingmasters shoot away.

8. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

Greg - it is a 3" receiver as all 870's are and have been for some time. AB is just a serial designation. The "M" that your serail number ends with means it is a magnum receiver. Your weaopn was manufactured in 2009 as the When "Freedon Group" bought Remington they changed the serial number system and late 2009 and all new ones start with RS which just means "Remington Shotgun"

9. Justjmfk

Justjmfk
    Expand Collapse

yes you are right i called remington to make sure . In the RS and the M serial number , you can shoot whatever you can chamber. low brass high brass mangnums . thanks