Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

3 hour CCW pistol permit class, Ct.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by happy seal, Apr 12, 2012.

1. happy seal

happy seal

Apr 12, 2007
    What would you say to someone giving pistol permit classes in 3 hours including shooting? :shocked:
  2. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

Jul 27, 2011
    South Kakalaki
    I know of a bunch of guys that had a class that was five hours, no shooting. And they got their CWP...

Told them it was pretty shady and they should be careful if they ever use their weapon as it could backfire on them... They said I was just jealous that I wasted a whole day in a classroom and had to shoot.

3. Powder

Aug 26, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    Tell them the 2nd amendment doesn't say anything about having to take a class before you are allowed to keep and bear arms..........
  4. happy seal

happy seal

Apr 12, 2007
    Interesting point of view! Unfortunatley Dept of Public Safety does NOT see it that way!
  5. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

Feb 10, 2000
    It differs from state to state. Some places you don't need to take a class at all.
  6. ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    If the CT class is as stupid as the OH class, they probably learned all they were going to.

Here we don't have a curriculum, just a 12 hour time demand. Some classes are good others suck.

Realistically, if the student already knows how to shoot(which anyone going for a CC license should), 3 hours is more than enough.
  7. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Jan 12, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't see a problem with it, and actually didn't know they demanded so many hrs of class, just complete a course.
  8. urban assault

urban assault

Apr 7, 2012
    I've carried since I was 19 and working as a Bouncer(permit, we don't need no steenkin' permit:upeyes:), but eventually went legit because I did not want the stigma of being arrested for exercising a basic human right.

Fast forward to this year(I'm now 45) and while I THOUGHT I still had at least six months to go before my CCW renewal, I had actually been carrying illegally for almost a year!

After recovering from my heart attack, I immediately started looking for a local CCW class so I could get my NRA certificate and go re-apply. Here in Oregon we only have to attend a safety class, with no shooting needed, and no real chance of failing the class.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that now I didn't even have to show up in person for a two-hour class... I could do the whole thing over the Web!

In reality, the Web CCW 'safety lecture' took just 30 minutes total, and the kicker was that it only cost 15 bucks.

I printed out my certificate with the instructors electronic signature, took it to the county Sheriff's office, filled out the forms, did the fingerprints, paid my $65, and received my new permit in four business days.

I could not believe how easy(and cheap) it had become compared to when I first got my permit years before.

The times have certainly changed.

9. handyman

Aug 3, 2008
    The classes in MN I don't care for, I think they need to be longer and alot more range time.
  10. Cmacc

Feb 1, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    I took the NRA Basic Pistol Safety Course, several hours on a Sat. morning. Instructor encouraged us to get more training, familiarize ourselves with the laws, continue regular shooting and to think seriously about the ramifications of carrying a firearm and the ways our lives would be changed if we ever had to use our weapon and/or if we didn't have a weapon and needed one.

Iowa very recently changed from a "may issue" to "shall issue" state. The gun advocacy groups are working very hard to push for Castle Doctrine, Stand Your Ground and Constitutional Carry laws here in Iowa.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  11. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    I'd say THANK YOU and ask if he has any cards.
  12. czsmithGT

Jan 8, 2004
    I took one for my CCW that lasted probaby 5 hours. It wasn't a problem for me but the proficiency of a few fellow graduates scared the bejeesus out of me.
  13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    I guess if you toss in time to fill out forms. Then you might need 3 hrs.

My first permit took 15 minutes. And was free. Went on that way for yrs. I did take training on side but just went into Sheriff's office and fill out forms, chat (if Sheriff was there) and they gave new permit. Could even do it by mail after a couple yrs.

Now its classes, and costs.
  14. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Texas has some of the strictest standards for CHL classwork training. It's an all-day affair and then shooting.

But whatever.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Well Jav - I suppose that's understandable since Texas doesn't recognize the 2nd Amendment.

16. I took the NRA First Steps pisol class in order to get my Non-Resident FLA permit and I don't theink the class was much over 3 hours, icluding class time, range time and showing I could field strip and re-assemble the .45 I used.

Hopefully soon I'll actually be able to get a MD permit.
  17. Does the class/course meet the the following Sec. 29-28. requirements? If so what's the big deal?
    Not to mention that there is no language in our state constitution that indicates a permit is required to "bear arms"...
  18. Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    I would say that's about 3 hours too long!:rofl:

Around here, you can get a permit with a 20 min online "class". And if you already know anything about gun safety, you can fast-forward through the 20 min video and just take the test.
  19. glock_collector

Dec 23, 2011
    I teach in MN, our classes are aprox 6 hrs, some more, never less due to the volume of information we provide. Safety "stuff" in a big part, even teaching veteran carry folks on the proper way to load-unload a firearm, ect....The travel info is really driven home due to us being such a mobile society, a very broad spectrum of info. Our class should really be 8+ hrs to do a great job, however people have shorter attention spans than that.
  20. I took mine about 25 years ago now :)wow: - doesn't seem possible!!), and don't recall it being much more than that, if even that long...