close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

3.5 Pound trigger for my carry glock

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by O'Lane, Jun 28, 2010.

1. O'Lane

O'Lane

Dec 2, 2009
    Hey guys,

I recently picked up a Glock 27 which I intend on using for my concealed carry gun once I pick up my permit this summer. I was wondering what's your opinion on having a 3.5 Pound trigger on a concealed carry pistol. I know having a lighter trigger may make it more prone to an accidental discharge, but I feel fine with my G27 5.5 pound trigger and feel that a 3.5 pound trigger may help me further.

As for shooting, I've taken it out twice, and well my groupings are fairly tight, 3-4" at 25', I'm hitting low and left, which I know seems to be a matter of trigger control and will take practice to overcome.

Thanks,
    O'Lane

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    O'Lane, your post makes clear that you know the lighter pull is associated with accidental discharge, and that off-center hits are more likely a trigger control issue than a pull weight issue.

What a lot of people don't realize is that in unmeritorious or political prosecutions, or civil lawsuits arising from self-defense shootings, it's not uncommon for opposing lawyers to raise the theory that the shooter fired by accident. Having a light trigger pull plays right into their hands. Say that you kept your finger off the trigger all you want; their argument will be that you made a negligent mistake...and again, the light pull plays into their hands.

Glock made it clear when I went through their armorer's school that the 3.5# pull is not for duty/defense use, and only for recreational shooting. That policy has not changed. Glock recommends the 3.5 for defense use ONLY in combination with the NY-1 trigger system, which brings total pull weight up into the 6-pound range. Gonna be pretty tough to convince a jury that you new more about the gun than its manufacturer.

With that in mind, I would STRONGLY recommend that on a defense Glock, you go no lighter than 5.5# pull.

There is LOTS of spirited discussion on this issue to be found here via the Glock Talk search function.

best,
    Mas