close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

299 days book series

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Lone Kimono, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    For those of you who like survival fiction you should check this series out. It just started a few weeks ago and there are 8 more coming out (book 2 is already out).

This is book one
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/299-Days-The-Preparation-ebook/dp/B00930ZBLQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]299 Days: The Preparation: Glen Tate: Amazon.com: Kindle Store@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JzHGcbFyL.@@AMEPARAM@@51JzHGcbFyL[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

2. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Thanks for the link; I hadn't heard of it before. I started the first one this weekend, and while it does have some of the inevitable self-published issues, the author comes across as a non-emotional, long-term prepper. A surprising number of times in there, there are phrasings and other little things that sound to me like things I'd say myself. I use the cautionary phrase to not be "I-told-you-so-guy" and that exact phrase is in the book more than once; the realization of the main character that while some folks may never be comfortable with prepping - even when faced with simple logic - that doesn't make them evil (or even stupid), and those same people can still be completely worth helping regardless.

Thanks again for the link.

3. GlenTate

GlenTate

Sep 15, 2012
    I'm the author of 299 Days. Thanks for reading it. Here is the web site if anyone needs more info: http://www.299Days.com

Lots and lots of five-star reviews from readers on Amazon. This book series is different than most prepper novels because (1) there is only a partial collapse, not a total one, and (2) the characters are real people, not superheroes or super villains.

PS: To prove how real things are, the main characters carry Glocks!

4. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    Sure thing, I'm glad you liked it! I enjoy god S&P books.

Are you moving on to book two? I heard three and four will be out in November.

5. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Haven't finished #1 yet, but will likely read the others; as long as #1 stays as good as it is through the end & doesn't go someplace idiotic like the turner diaries & such. Don't expect it will, I'm two-thirds or so thru it and it would have likely shown up by this point.

6. Sgt. Rambo

Sgt. Rambo

Apr 1, 2003
    South Jersey
    Hey Glen!!! Congrats!! I've got two SP novels out myself... My Avatar is the first one of them. I'm going to be getting your first one later today!! Congrats again!! I look forward to reading.

7. Read through Book 1 pretty quickly and it was good enough that I bought book 2. (These were both Kindle editions that I downloaded to my PC using the free Kindle software download on the Amazon home page) I was disappointed the second book was smaller than the first but it was also cheaper. Definitely hooked and wished more chapters were available sooner rather than later

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Albuquerque,NM
    Welcome Sir to GlockTalk.com!:wavey:

9. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Any tentative schedule on books 3+ release?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  10. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    I've heard him say two more will come out in November :)

11. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    I just finished the latest two books in the series and plan on reading them again. Lots of really useful/practical information. They are really worth checking out.

12. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
  13. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 CLM

Dec 29, 2006
    Texas
    I've read the first three. They're great but I do wish they were a bit thicker for the money.

Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard...lol

14. MikeLadner

MikeLadner DILLIGAFF?

Jul 4, 2001
    South Mississippi
    I've read the first three. Don't think I'll be buying more. The editing is pretty rough for one thing. Yes I realize it's self published or whatever, but still.

Second, the writing can be really repetitive. I don't need to hear how someone used to feel strange being a prepper and now is thankful 5 times in 100 pages, and I don't need to read about home someome feels secure because they have an AR on them, and how it's becoming strange to see someone NOT with a gun, or _________________________ (enter situation here) only to hear about it again in the next chapter, from the same person, about the same people.

I applaud the author for his efforts, for the most part I've enjoyed the books, but at $10-14 a volume, no thanks. Not for something that could have been published in one larger book for $40, or several less volumes, if not for the repetitive writing.

JMHO

15. dukeblue91

dukeblue91

Sep 6, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    I like the series and can't wait for the next one.
    This is the only problem I have, the long wait between the books.
    I'd rather he had just written one big one so that I could have finished it.

16. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    I think the next two come out sometime in the next two months, but I could be wrong.