close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

26 or 27?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by djsung815, Mar 13, 2012.

1. djsung815

djsung815

I currently have a Kahr PM9, SA-XDM 3.8 9mm Compact.

Thinking about adding a Glock to my collection (finally), but I'm torn between a 26 or a 27. I like the idea of having a 40 cal since both my other pistols are 9mm, but I don't like to idea of spending the extra money for the ammo. If I do the 27, I would probably do a Lone Wolf to make it a 9mm.

What do you guys think?

2. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

As you already own two 9mms, I would take the 26, particularly as you're planning on shooting 9mm out of your 27 with a conversion barrel anyway. Save the money on the barrel and but more ammunition. But given you already have two compacts, why not a 19 or 17?

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Last I recall, looking at them in a gun store, the 26 is smaller and lighter than the XDm compact. Is that true?

If you want to use the same ammo, and keep things simple and familiar, go with the 26.

If you are one to be concerned about 9 not being enough, or want something different, go with the 40.

Me, I've got some carry 9's. PM9, EMP, 26, and 92 compact. If I got another compact or sub-compact, it would still be a 9.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  4. bulletandgrunt

bulletandgrunt

Go with the 9mm it's what you have. I have a 26 I got in January. The difference in say a Golden Sabre +P 9mm that I shoot versus a .40 is minimal. Plus practice ammo is much cheaper and you save money on buying a new barrel for the 27. You can use that money for some night sights and a trigger job like I did.

5. fastbolt

fastbolt

There's hours of reading about this subject in earlier threads (it's seemingly a perennial favorite topic).

Not really sure any consensus has ever been reached.

I own both models (2-G26's & a G27). I only wanted to own a G26 back several years ago. The G27 was a spur of the moment purchase when an unexpectedly great deal came my way on a LNIB model.

I have a fair number of rounds through both models (more than 12K rounds of each caliber in the little Glocks).

While I tend to like Glocks best when chambered in 9mm, I think the G27 is a fine little .40 pistol.

Yes, the G27 has more felt recoil & muzzle whip than the G26, even when the G26 is loaded with +P+ loads. Is it too much? Depends on the owner/user. Decide for yourself. For me, mastering the G27 has made shooting the G26 seem significantly even easier over time. ;)

Over the years of helping many of our folks choose between the G26/27 models, letting them use each on the firing line, more folks have opted for the G26 than the G27 (both experienced and not-so-experienced shooters).

I don't like conversion barrels for dedicated defensive pistols, myself. I'd much rather have another gun chambered in another caliber.

Try examples of both and decide for yourself. Everyone else does.

Read all the earlier threads if you really want to read a lot of opinions & experiences.

6. djsung815

djsung815

hm...seems like everyone is leaning towards the 26, which makes sense.

now, if i decide on the 26, should i go for the Gen 3 and save $40 or so, or go with the Gen 4?

7. bulletandgrunt

bulletandgrunt

Mine is a GEN 3 and I love it. Feel them in your hand and remember you can do the backstrap thing for the 4's. Mine fit fine as it was so I left with the Gen 3.

Shoot the hell out of it. I got mine Jan 2nd, I have right around 1200 rounds through it.

8. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

I have both models in Gen4. Regarding your $40 savings, keep in mind that the Gen4 models ship with three magazines.

What else? RTF4 grip, MBS for different size grips, larger magazine release...

Have you shot any of them yet? 26/27 or Gen3/Gen4? For ammo consistency, I'd recommend the G26 for you. However, the G27 can shoot multiple calibers with barrel conversions.

9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

With the conversion barrel, he could just get more practice for less money.

Shoot some .40 occasionally to make sure you have a good feel for the gun in that mode, and carry with stock barrel.

I like the idea of the 27 with conversion barrel. Let's you put more rounds downrange for less. Might take awhile to make up for the cost of the barrel, but .40 ammo is way more expensive than 9mm. Like about $10 per 100 I'm thinking? At that rate, 10 boxes (of 100) 9mm and you've broke even.

10. Rustin

Rustin

For range applications, the conversion barrell is just fine. However, if the gun is to be used defensively, there are good reasons to buy a dedicated gun. One reason is reliability. You would have to swap out more than the barrell to acheive optimum reliabilityin a conversion piece. Also, .40 offers no discernable advantages over 9mm. If you want to compete in limited then .40 is reasonable. Otherwise a G26 is all you'll ever need.:cool:

11. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Same price for each. I would get the 27 and then get a 9mm barrel.

12. mj9mm

mj9mm

aw come on, add a big stopper to the group, go with the G36. it's boring just shooting nines:tongueout:

13. sourdough44

sourdough44

CC, range, or 'home defense', woods carry? Of those 2 I would still lean 26. I just bought a 26 myself. I had both available & went with Gen 3. I have one 'X-Grip' to lengthen the grip with a 15 round mag when I want.

14. hsprincipal

hsprincipal

Both are great. I prefer the gen4. Both mine have been very reliable. If you like 9mm and it seems you do from your post, you wont be disappointed with the 26.

15. Sgt.K

Sgt.K They Just Work!

Either Generation 26 w/Speer 124 +p's. JMHO. :thumbsup:

16. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

GEN 3 26 for the win!!!!!!!!:tongueout::rofl:

No, seriously I would stay with 9mm. With the self defense loads now available, you will never need anything more IMO.
    The hundred and some extra dollars for a barrel, buys alot of ammunition.

17. arzG27

arzG27 Glock FTW

You already said it man. 27 with the 9mm conversion. Best of both worlds. Done.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. barth

barth six barrels

I really like my G27 running both 40 and 9mm.
    1) If there's an ammo shortage I have more options.
    2) I can see If I favor one over the other.

I'm concerned about being able to get those premium loads I love.
    Not - can't find any ammo at all.

If I can only get GDHP/HST/Ranger T in one or the other?
    OK by me - LOL!

BTW I've shot over +1000 rounds of GDHP/HST/Ranger T through my 9mm conversion barrel
    and it's been flawless.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  19. bac1023

bac1023

I much prefer 9mm.

20. DannyII

DannyII

I have both.

I've always been a believer that with the right loads, 9mm is pretty much on par with the .40 for SD. That said, I always had that nagging "what if" 9mm isn't enough feeling. So, I picked up a Gen4 27 last fall. I'm still warming up to the .40 in that small of a platform, but it is growing on me. I think .40 has a slight edge ballistically speaking, but I'm also not sure if that edge translates to civilian SD situations.

SD is about preparedness, and confidence. If you're confident with 9mm, use 9mm. If you're confident with .40, use .40.

I do not like using conversion barrels for SD guns. For the range they're ok. With the .40, you can shoot (including conversions) .40, 9mm, .357 sig, and .22 (Advantage Arms) With the 9mm, you can only get the .22 kit.

You really need to shoot both to see what you like. Keep in mind that 9mm target ammo wil generally be lighter in power/recoil than 9mm SD ammo, whereas .40 target and SD ammo are closer in "power/recoil". Hickok45 says if you are going to shoot just a little, get the 9mm. If are going to shoot more often, get the .40.

9mm is, and probably always will be, a lot cheaper to shoot than .40.

We can't tell you what to choose. You have to decide what is best for you. What factors are most important to you is what matters. Make a pro & con checklist. Buy the one that comes out on top...

...then buy the other one next time. :supergrin: