close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

$25 hazmat fee for powder and primers when buying from Midaway?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by B_RAD, Nov 6, 2010.

1. B_RAD

B_RAD

Jan 2, 2008
    NW AR
    I went to my local gun store today to buy some reloading supplies but didn't, 'cause they were high on their prices! $35 for 1k Fed small pistol primers and $20 for 1lb jug of titegroup, as well as $110 for 1k for Berry's 147gr RN. I didn't buy anything, thinking I could get better prices online. So, I look at Midway and they say that there's a $25 hazmat fee and it'll ship in two weeks and will cost an additional $9.99 shipping. WTF? Why would anyone buy from them? Their prices were better but once you figure the extra feesit's over double the price.

2. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    Midway is OK for some stuff, but not for powders and primers.
    Check Graf's , Powder Valey, and Wideners.

3. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Jan 24, 2004
    Midwest
    To each their own, but I haven't bought anything from Midway in at least 10 years. When they became fee and shipping happy, they lost me for good, no matter how much they may improve in the future.

4. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    BTW, in case you don't know you are going to have to pay a hazmat fee from where ever you're going to buy from. But midway will charge you two fees. One for the primers and one for the powder. The sites I just mentioned above will only charge you one.
    In order to offset the hazmat fee you must order in bulk. Buy powder by the 8lb min and primers by the 5k.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  5. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    Brad, you will want to order both your powder and primers at the same time, and request a combined shipment. Otherwise, if one if out of stock, they will ship the in-stock and the out-of-stock when it finally arrives, and you'll pay for two hazmat fees.

6. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    That's because Midway drop ships from the powder maker. They had powder (albeit at a higher price) when others who keep a stock of powder did not. The separate hazmat fee due to one from the powder mfg to you; then another for the primers to you.

Places like Grafs, Midsouth, Powder Valley, etc who stock both powder and primer can combine the orders (unline Midway). They have better prices; but they don't always have the stuff you want in stock (Midway get's early picks). It's a tradeoff.

I can still get my powder locally for a good enough price, so I don't get involved in hazmat fees. Shop around locally, you might be in for a pleasant surprise.

7. RLDS45S

RLDS45S

Jun 8, 2003
    MN
    The reason that Midway has two haz mat fees is that they only stock primers and powder is drop shipped from another vendor. So there WILL BE NO combining of Haz Mat items via Midway.

8. B_RAD

B_RAD

Jan 2, 2008
    NW AR
    Thanks everyone. I didn't know that. I'll just buy powder and primers locally. Even at $5-10 more than Midway I'm still saving $ because of no hazmat fee. Bullets are a different story. Thanks!

9. glock-n-roll

glock-n-roll

Aug 21, 2010
    Eastern NC
    You could always get your stuff at a gun show too. I bought Winchester primers today for $27.00 for 1K. Powder were a different story, I passed on it because the only vendor with powder (very small show) wanted about $9 more for a lb. than I was willing to pay. WSF was $26.95, Natchez has it for $17 and Midway has it for $19 (before hazmat fees of course). I might have even bought it for $21 or 22, but dang!

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Or...

Buy them local until you know what you like and are comfortable with...

Then place a large order w/ Powder Valley, Grafs, etc.. and buy enough that the shipping/hazmat, is cheaper than the local price + sales tax.

Really, it's not that hard to do. That price on primers is ridiculous, and the powders aren't that much better. I'm pretty fortunate and a local place has some pretty good prices on powder, so even w/ Tax, while I do pay a little more, it's not a big deal. Primers always get bought online.

IGF

11. mboylan

mboylan

May 11, 2007
    When you buy from Powder Valley, hazmat is a single fee. Buying locally will not save you money.

You need to buy in bulk to save money. That $25 is next to nothing when you buy 10,000 primers and 8 lbs of powder.

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I buy primers from Powder Valley. They're 25.50 or so per 1000, and even with hazmat, when you buy 10,000 come out to around $300 which makes it be $30 per 1000. Add 8lb of powder in, and it's even a better deal.

You do have to have quite a bit of money *right then*, but it will save you in the long run if you can do that.

13. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I'm glad I live 11 miles from Cabela's. The only wait I have is for my MG boolits. :supergrin:

14. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    And even better when you buy 50,000 primers and 48 pounds of powder at a time. I know it's two hazmat fees but it works out good for me.

15. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    If I lived 11 miles from Cabela's I would never have any money. :rofl:

16. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Primers locally here, almost $40/K +9.5% ST! I just got my order form Graf's for CCI SP; $24.80/K on 10K. That included HM & their handling fee. So throw in any size powder & it's like shipping for free. At $43.80/K for pirmers, that saves me $19/K. Yeah, I don't buy much locally.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  17. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    IGF and others said it. Anticipate your reloading needs for 5 years, add about 1/3, and place a big order with powder valley. You will not notice the haz mat and shipping when it is spread out on 25K primers, and many pounds of powder.

Is it foolish to order 1K primers, and 2# powder and pay the hazmat and shipping? Sure is! Is it foolish to pay $60 or so haz mat and shipping 0n a $1000 order that would cost you 1200-1500 at retail prices? No, its just wise.

BUY IN BULK...it what makes reloading cheaper for the ammo you get out of it.Think of ammo in quantities of 10K-even if that is a decades worth for you. Components wil NOT be any cheaper than they are now, so buying now fro the next 10 years is a wise and money saving investment.Say nothing about future availability.

18. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    COrrect! At a minimum, think of ordering on line in 10 unit minimums. A unit being 1K primer or 1# of powder. That adds only $2.50/unit in HM & shipping varies from free to pretty cheap.:supergrin: Buy your first powder in 1# jugs for testing. Cost a bit more/# but I hate having 7# of powder I hate to sue up. Primers, always buy in 5K min, 10K is better. They don't go bad. You can always sell them if you get too many. I keep 5K of each size in surplus, order a min of 5K when I get to my 5K min. You can't reload without em.:crying:

19. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

Feb 14, 2002
    Florida
    I order at least 40K of primers and 24-30lbs of powder. It makes the extra fee's easier to deal with.

20. Aquagear

Aquagear

Aug 29, 2010
    Sparks Nv.
    Find some other shooters in your area, get a good size order together and split the hasmat fee. Before I moved to another state the members of my shooting club used to do that for rimfire ammo and components, when you split that hasmat fee between several people it really helps.